A&H

Bonjour

arbitre

Hello,

Just joined.

Formerly London and AFA Referee. Been living and refereeing in France for almost 10 years.

A bientôt.
Paul.

Reactions: SM
The Referee Store
Hey Paul,

How was the transition to becoming a ref in France? Any big hurdles?

Hey Paul,

How was the transition to becoming a ref in France? Any big hurdles?

The language mostly! Most senior games kick off 3.30pm (3pm in winter) on Sundays. Youth games are played at the same times on a Saturday. This season the official match record is being done on a tablette, which means less writing in reports, as just have to give details of red cards in reports.

The French also have their take on the LOTG. It is black & white here, no real discretion for the referee. It is deemed this challenge is a yellow, this a red and so on. The players expect it as well.
As for me, well I referee a l'anglaise!

30 seconds added for every substitution, and at all amateur levels they use roll on roll off subs. Add one minute for every injury (longer obviously if it is over a minute). I recently played 9 minutes of added time at the end of the match, and the home team scored the winner (3-2) 20 seconds from the end!

The good thing is the respect for the referee (mostly). Very little back chat, and you will quite often hear the captain shout, in French obviously "he has whistled, say nothing".

I am just coming to the end of my 9th season here, and have already refereed the County Cup Final, and Play-Off Final.

Enjoying the twilight of my refereeing career in warmer climes and a nicer atmosphere.

Moving to France is sounding very appealing. Expenses to travel from the uk every Saturday? Recon that might be a goer?

Bonjour et bienvenue..je parle un peu français, ma mère était française. Elle est décédée malheureusement...:(

Hello & welcome, I speak French a little, my mother was French, She passed away unfortunately...:(

A French lad is in my league called Antoine, he's a very average player with a bit of French swagger and arrogance, he talks decent English but swears in French LOL. (My mum did too) So I warned him that I partially understand so if he calls me certain names thinking that he can get away with it...Just to prove it I called him a 'petite merde' after a sneaky foul, he burst out laughing and only us too knew what i'd called him!!!

Jack showing off is expert 'general European' there :p

Bonjour @arbitre ... and that's my French done haha! only joking, my parents own a house in France - a little village called Landeleau

welcome!

Yeh s***, i had a team of Liberian players too, i'm not sure what language they were speaking but their chuntering sounded pretty similar!!

I must have this affect on players, its a gift!!

, i had a team of Liberian players too, i'm not sure what language they were speaking but their chuntering sounded pretty similar!!!

That's an easy one - "That goal that George Weah scored against Verona? I saw it live!"

On Channel 4 of course.

If we are just randomly throwing out French we remember, here goes

Garçon! Je voudrais un jambon a la picine, dans la pronto! Cie vous plais. :)

My apologies for butchering the French language right there.

If we are just randomly throwing out French we remember, here goes

Garçon! Je voudrais un jambon a la picine, dans la pronto! Cie vous plais. :)

My apologies for butchering the French language right there.

I'm pretty sure you've just said something about a ham and swimming pool? Please don't fail me now year 8 French!!

Back