A&H

Brighton v Man City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew

RefChat Addict
506E52AA-C635-473A-9295-524D0132BAB5.jpeg

No complaints with the penalty award itself after a clumsy challenge from Ederson, but slightly baffled how this offside wasn’t given in the build up. For those who weren’t watching, it was probably around 10 passes back in the build up.

The Referee Store
Yep, I expecting to be given offside. No 'official' lines shown suggests they never checked? An oversight or is 10 or so passes in the build up (15 seconds max) enough to play on?

Yeah, I am a bit baffled by this one, it was a clear offside and they have certainly gone back further than this in the past when disallowing goals. Can only assume human error in that they didn't realise there was a potential offside in the build up.

Maybe the VAR uses old cathode-ray TV's. Straight lines are tricky to draw on a curved screen; so that's one possible explanation

It wasn't disallowing the goal. So I don't see how it could have been checked. The AR could have - should have flagged it. But they are instructed not to and the check will take place if and when the ball is in the net. Daft!

I'm surprised we don't see more of these. The way offside is handled now is daft. Give top flight ARs' back the power to flag these obvious cases!

Brighton fan so happy that the last 10 was entertaining. But gutted for the officials. This and the increased chances of injury after a non-offside call make this a farce IMHO.

Redknapp on Sky claimed it was "1st phase" and was "reset" in the 2nd phase. Not sure how an offside can be reset when the defending side never gains possession at anytime between the missed offside and a goal being scored/penalty being given 🤔

The AR could have - should have flagged it. But they are instructed not to and the check will take place if and when the ball is in the net. Daft!
this isn’t true. The AR is always supposed to flag if they identify an OS offense. The ARs are instructed to delay the flag until the promising attack ends or the goal is scored.

Reactions: one
Fair enough but we are not seeing the flag raised when the PA ends...
Please don't use PA (penalty area) for a promising attack. SPA is OK....

If the AR thought it was offside, the flag should have gone up sooner. I assume he got it wrong.

As to why VAR didn't consider the offside (or even look at it), you wouldn't like the obvious explanation! Like why Ederson got a YC for timewasting compared to the some of the stuff we see keepers do without sanction.

Even without conspiracy theories, there are big questions over consistency. But I'm not sure why Peter Walton gets paid for saying "The referee's decision is always right"!

And the ARs are not even flagging for players obviously in an offside position in situations where a collision with the GK is a real possibiity.

I wasn't sure about City's first goal. I didn't think Jesus had much chance of playing the ball. But I'm generally more inclined to call "impeding" when players just get in the way of opponents who are trying to play the ball.

Last edited:
Fair enough but we are not seeing the flag raised when the PA ends...
That means the AR missed it, not that he is instructed not to flag. (Whether some ARs get shy about making some calls is another issue—but if they miss an OS that is caught by the VAR it is a negative on their evaluation.j

There is no way a Prem lino missed that.

Nah, I think he's got it wrong, otherwise the flag goes up immediately as it's not a delay situation.

I think VAR has dropped a massive b*llock here. I can't see any other explanation.

*didnt realise what you were replying too...but yes he did. right before half time. the goal made it 1-1

Last edited:
There is no way a Prem lino missed that.
Have they suddenly got infallible? One Prem lino mssed this... (one of the decisions that led to VAR)

2CC9488C00000578-3249990-image-a-148_1443275492333.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back