A&H

Bton Palace

The Referee Store
And terrible decision for the corner that precedes that red card for Duffy.

Oh dear... and then it is enough force with the head to justify a RC?

I think Duffy was too hyped for the first 25 and it was probably obvious to Friend and made the RC easier.

Crazy few mins... and Friend has totally lost this before the half hour.

http://mscom1.matchat.online/player/html/Zw08iDHCxj?popup=yes&autoplay=1

Pen - Wrong decision, defender gets there first, blocked view or bad angle perhaps?

Corner - Doesn't give a pen and he gives a corner to sell his non-pen, but the defender didn't touch the ball, then the red for VC is correct - that was a lot more force than I remember Richarlison getting sent for earlier on in the season... then Brighton score from the corner... oh dear.

For me, his assistant has to be in his ear there "it's a goal kick if it's not a pen", surely the assistant still signalled and if so, how did he get it wrong?

I wont see it till tomorrow cos am at work, but, I think every one of us has done that, we don't know if its a pk, it looks like a gk, but, because we might have denied the attacking team a pk, we award a corner as some kind of middle ground decision!!
Both teams win/neither lose as one team should have conceded a pk now only concede a corner and one team should have got nothing as you could not call the pk but do know its a goal kick so you give them a corner to make them feel ok too !
its ridiculous when you break it down but, a common incident and I be surprised if anyone can honestly say they have not done it!!

And on 40 mins Kev has to kill the game by taking in both captains with problem players one after the other.

TBH as a Brighton boy and Amex/Withdean/Goldstone irregular since 1979 it's totally amazing entertainment. I wonder if the fan tension before the match has affected this somehow?

I wont see it till tomorrow cos am at work, but, I think every one of us has done that, we don't know if its a pk, it looks like a gk, but, because we might have denied the attacking team a pk, we award a corner as some kind of middle ground decision!!
Both teams win/neither lose as one team should have conceded a pk now only concede a corner and one team should have got nothing as you could not call the pk but do know its a goal kick so you give them a corner to make them feel ok too !
its ridiculous when you break it down but, a common incident and I be surprised if anyone can honestly say they have not done it!!
I unintentionally did it the other week, ball played over the top takes a deflection on it's way, club assistant flags when there was no interference, ball goes out at the goal line. Should have been a corner, I think players expected the offside, keeper puts ball down outside PA and I shout "goal kick please keeper". Nobody realised. When the kick was taken I clocked...

I unintentionally did it the other week, ball played over the top takes a deflection on it's way, club assistant flags when there was no interference, ball goes out at the goal line. Should have been a corner, I think players expected the offside, keeper puts ball down outside PA and I shout "goal kick please keeper". Nobody realised. When the kick was taken I clocked...

Good management for me, your pitch clearly expected and they got what they expected !

you can guarantee had you realised b4 the kick and "done the right thing" and changed it to a corner, you have uproar and them of course, a header scored from the corner.....

Reactions: JH
Good management for me, your pitch clearly expected and they got what they expected !

you can guarantee had you realised b4 the kick and "done the right thing" and changed it to a corner, you have uproar and them of course, a header scored from the corner.....
Oh, no doubt whatsoever.

What level is this referee at?? I've seen better decisions at parks level!!

Last edited:
HAHA Sheffields. I am agreeing with your observation. If he had not botched the penalty, which if he was in the position he should have seen the defender touch the ball or at the very least had a talking over with his AR, the game may have been different. And to award a corner kick when a goal kick was clearly called for. At that point he knew he had made a grievous error and then, in my opinion, made another one. But appeared to regain control and clear send off for me for the head-butting. Just watched it again and im my mind the referee was at least 25 yards away from the play. When the ball went deep towards the 6 he should have been on the move towards the goal.

While it clearly wasn't a corner kick I'm not so sure it was a penalty either. The attacker is light on his foot expecting contact and goes down easily as soon as it happens. 60-40 for me. Or in other words if I was a VAR I would not have intervened on either decision. One could call this a fair charge.

Close up or other angle replays may change my mind.

http://mscom1.matchat.online/player/html/Zw08iDHCxj?popup=yes&autoplay=1

Pen - Wrong decision, defender gets there first, blocked view or bad angle perhaps?

Corner - Doesn't give a pen and he gives a corner to sell his non-pen, but the defender didn't touch the ball, then the red for VC is correct - that was a lot more force than I remember Richarlison getting sent for earlier on in the season... then Brighton score from the corner... oh dear.

For me, his assistant has to be in his ear there "it's a goal kick if it's not a pen", surely the assistant still signalled and if so, how did he get it wrong?
The corner is actually the decision that makes sense - if he doesn't think it's a pen, it's because he thinks the defender touched it. The GK wouldn't make sense.

So, I could understand if the ref thought that.....but this is where the teamwork with the AR comes into it; the AR must have seen what happened, surely.

The corner is actually the decision that makes sense - if he doesn't think it's a pen, it's because he thinks the defender touched it. The GK wouldn't make sense.

So, I could understand if the ref thought that.....but this is where the teamwork with the AR comes into it; the AR must have seen what happened, surely.
I don't necessarily agree, just because the defender doesn't touch the ball doesn't mean he has fouled his opponent. I predict he was distracted by the pen/no pen decision and instinctively gave a corner as a result. I've been in that position myself and you're concentrating so much on the big decision that you aren't concentrating on the small one. Alternatively he very wrongly thought the defender touched it but if so, the AR is perfectly placed to tell him otherwise.

Back