A&H

Burnley v Liverpool

Shame they got nowhere near sticking to their pledge(s)
After the good work done in the summer (when the article was published), the PGMOL have ensured it was all in vane. Nauseatingly safe refereeing at every opportunity, allowing the players to make the decisions (with the help of VAR, naturally). So plucking criteria from the report is kinda pointless

And yes... I was THE ONE who predicted (a good few seasons back) the PGMOL would revolutionise VAR from what had gone before :asshat::bag::oops:

Don't agree. VAR has got involved much less this season for trivial offences, granted it is still far from perfect but it is better. Of course people will point to "soft" penalties actually given by referees, but whatever the VAR bar is they aren't going to recommend a review unless the referee is 100% wrong, any amount of subjectivity and the decision will stand.

The Referee Store
This could get well interesting...
Can @bloovee make this about city. Will @redref2005 be able to take off the red specs and put on his black and white specs!!
Stay tuned folks...
I’ll make it about City! Does anyone remember City being awarded the pen for Silva falling to the ground against Arsenal. I feel it’s a similar debate again.

There is contact and the player goes down, but I’m inclined to say no pen. The amount of force isn’t enough to make the player go down. He’s sort of looking for the pen.

So yes I agree with Var not giving this. Had Atkinson given it, I don’t see them overturning it due to the fact there was contact and he goes down. Again to drag City into it, similar to the Norwich pen. Harsh but there’s enough in it to warrant not overturning.

But no neutral wants to see this given and no neutral certainly wants to see VAR getting involved.
This is great - thanks Rusty! That makes everything a bit clearer certainly.

My only concern then as a Liverpool fan is the referee - Atkinson - has given us 1 penalty in 29 games. I would suggest this is a small amount for the number of games and the likelihood of us getting fouled in the area but that I guess is down to how he sees the game?
Back on to this, MA has a career average of 0.24 pens a game. Incredibly whilst refereeing Liverpool he has only given you 0.14 pens a game. Indication of bias!?!?

Not the case. He averaged 0.08 pens a game for Man United, 0.03 (about 1 in 29 similar to the stat you said) for Chelsea and he has never awarded a penalty to Manchester City. I’m sure those clubs have a lot to say about Mr Atkinson’s supposed bias!

My only concern then as a Liverpool fan is the referee - Atkinson - has given us 1 penalty in 29 games. I would suggest this is a small amount for the number of games and the likelihood of us getting fouled in the area but that I guess is down to how he sees the game?
Wrong website mate... https://forums.liverpoolfc.com

Twenty nine games is nowhere near enough of sample size to draw a wider inferential assumption about bias. Unless you get a much larger sample size (thousands of PL games officiated and hundreds of Liverpool games officiated), any conclusion drawn is meaningless. Even if you did have that sample size, you'd still want to control for factors such as stature (category) of the game, fouls outside the area etc. Correlation does not equal causation.

Twenty nine games is nowhere near enough of sample size to draw a wider inferential assumption about bias. Unless you get a much larger sample size (thousands of PL games officiated and hundreds of Liverpool games officiated), any conclusion drawn is meaningless. Even if you did have that sample size, you'd still want to control for factors such as stature (category) of the game, fouls outside the area etc. Correlation does not equal causation.
If I went through season by season I could find this exact number but I don’t have time. A quick Google search does give me a slight sample size. An article states Liverpool had the most penalties awarded of any EPL team by the end of the 15/16 season, with 140. That was after 924 games in the EPL for them. That’s an average of 0.15 pens a game. Mr Atkinson has awarded an average of 0.14 pens per game to Liverpool.

Now if the Liverpool OP fan wants to say that shows that Akinson is biased because he’s awarded less than average he can feel free to, but a difference of 0.01 feels especially small, and if you factor rounding into it it could be even smaller than that. Liverpool fans then could try argue 0.15 is quite small and that all referees have an agenda against Liverpool but seeing as they have the most penalties in Prem history it’s potentially hard to back up that claim.

I feel if he had some bias against Liverpool, it would probably be more statistically significant than what is shown here but that’s just my two cents 😉

If I went through season by season I could find this exact number but I don’t have time. A quick Google search does give me a slight sample size. An article states Liverpool had the most penalties awarded of any EPL team by the end of the 15/16 season, with 140. That was after 924 games in the EPL for them. That’s an average of 0.15 pens a game. Mr Atkinson has awarded an average of 0.14 pens per game to Liverpool.

Now if the Liverpool OP fan wants to say that shows that Akinson is biased because he’s awarded less than average he can feel free to, but a difference of 0.01 feels especially small, and if you factor rounding into it it could be even smaller than that. Liverpool fans then could try argue 0.15 is quite small and that all referees have an agenda against Liverpool but seeing as they have the most penalties in Prem history it’s potentially hard to back up that claim.

I feel if he had some bias against Liverpool, it would probably be more statistically significant than what is shown here but that’s just my two cents 😉

whoa there, it's city who have an agenda against them dont you know

Back