A&H

Open Age Can a trip be violent conduct?

Elvis

Hello all. Just to clarify, I am not a qualified referee.

I have registered on this site with the aim of clarifying an argument with a friend. We are in disagreement as to whether tripping a player off the ball can be deemed violent conduct. His belief is that there is not enough ‘excessive force’ in a trip for it to be deemed violent conduct. He believes that in order to it to be deemed violent conduct the action would have to be a kick rather than a trip. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on this.

The Referee Store
That would have to be one hell of a trip and to meet the criteria for violent conduct!!! I suspect it would have to be a kick as the laws of the game state that violent conduct is the use of excessive force or brutality against opponent etc i just cannot see a trip being brutal enough even if it is an off the ball incident. Unless of course the player was deliberately tripped with the intention of making him fall into something else like a post, the crowd, advertising boards, other players etc which would potentially be very dangerous if it was a sprinting player. Maybe.

I agree with Supermonkey for the most part. As it says in the second half of the LOTG (interpretations) VC must be "excessive in force" or involve "brutality" against another person. If you trip someone off the ball, you're likely guilty of unsporting behaviour. Cheers, and welcome to the forum! I hope you stick around and get qualified.

Yep, I'd say it's USB, 'Tripping or attempting to trip an opponent'.

Unless it is a leg that's been swung at him, rather than a leg that's been held out, for him to trip over.

Back