A&H

Can you referee matches in another country if your a level 5 referee from the UK?

newref

I was just wondering if we can referee matches in another country with our level 5 badge from the UK? or would we need to do another course. Please advise. Thanks

The Referee Store
The FA would arrange to transfer your registration to that country and they would then decide what level in their system to put you at, the same as if an overseas referee came to the UK.

If you are only away temporarily and want to referee there you would need international clearance from your CFA.

The FA would arrange to transfer your registration to that country and they would then decide what level in their system to put you at, the same as if an overseas referee came to the UK.

If you are only away temporarily and want to referee there you would need international clearance from your CFA.
Wow interesting. So at what level can you potentially referee abroad? Can you also do it if your only a level 7?

Wow interesting. So at what level can you potentially referee abroad? Can you also do it if your only a level 7?

As a level 7 you would go in at whatever the lowest level is in that country. Realistically there wouldn't be any appetite to appoint an English referee to a game when they are overseas if they are only there short term as it would be too much work to sort out. International clearance is there for things like tournaments who invite referees from all over the World.

When transferring permanently it will depend on the countries involved. For example, Jared Gillet who was one of the top FIFA referees in Australia moved to England this year and has been placed at SG2 so is refereeing in the Championship. know of FIFA badged referees that have moved to England and they have been placed at L5 and urgently observed to see if they can quickly go to L4. There's no hard and fast rule for it.

Surely varies massively from country to country.

Friend if mine who was whistling 4th tier here, approx level 5, did a season in England at L5. He had the support of our very active refsec to grease things.

Recently we’ve had a guy flagging the Scottish 2nd tier visiting. He’s observed some games and flagged some much lower L6 games IIRC.

Brazilian guy, who had whistled top tier youth, came here but had to start lower down, fast tracked promotion in two years and now L5 equivalent.

Demand, credibility, references, and general fit are all factors I reckon.

Which countries would we be allowed to referee in? I mean is there any document which explains how to transfer to another country permanently or temporarily. There must be a website?
There isn't a website or a document. It would be any country which recognises FIFA as football's organising body. You move to a country (permanently), make yourself known to the local footballing authorities, they contact your FA and then place you in their system accordingly. You go to a country (temporarily, say for a tournament) and before you go, you should contact your County FA who will, if they think it is appropriate, contact The FA to arrange international clearance.

Last edited:
As a level 7 you would go in at whatever the lowest level is in that country. Realistically there wouldn't be any appetite to appoint an English referee to a game when they are overseas if they are only there short term as it would be too much work to sort out. International clearance is there for things like tournaments who invite referees from all over the World.

When transferring permanently it will depend on the countries involved. For example, Jared Gillet who was one of the top FIFA referees in Australia moved to England this year and has been placed at SG2 so is refereeing in the Championship. know of FIFA badged referees that have moved to England and they have been placed at L5 and urgently observed to see if they can quickly go to L4. There's no hard and fast rule for it.
Out of interest, would they wear their FIFA badges for their L5 games?

Funnily discussed similar last night...
I flagged for Champions League AR a few weeks ago (biscuit please!). He wore the local FA badge for our 4th tier clash (small Nordic country remember).

Though an AR of mine last night recalled a FIFA AR in our second city who turned out in lower div game in the F-badge and caused a stir.

If they have a FIFA referee badge, they're supposed to wear that when acting as a referee (but not when acting as an AR).

If they have a FIFA AR badge, they wear that when acting as an AR (but not when acting as a referee).

If they have a FIFA referee badge, they're supposed to wear that when acting as a referee (but not when acting as an AR).

If they have a FIFA AR badge, they wear that when acting as an AR (but not when acting as a referee).
Would they be in trouble if not for a lower level game? Like previously mentioned, I can imagine it not going down well in certain situations

Back