A&H

Captains talk

svenny76

RefChat Addict
Hi guys,
Just wandered what your chat with the 2 captains is whilst doing the "toss" I usually introduce myself, shake both players hands, get them to shake. Brief explanation that I like to play football so I would look to play advantage as much as I can, I don't expect to to be shouted at or sworn at because of it just because you've ended up losing the ball 7-9 seconds later, you guys know your players better than me, if they get out of hand please deal with them otherwise I will have to. Toss the coin, have a great game and enjoy.
It's park football so I try not to go on to much or bamboozle them with big words or fancy statements.
Any other advice??
With the club linos I just ask them to keep up with play, offsides and ball out of play only, once you've made a decision stand there with your flag up until I've seen you, if I over rule you, try not to have an eppy it's probably because I've seen a little nick on the way, thanks mate.

A&H International
Yep same with me. I also tell them that any problems the team have should come through the captains, I don't mind the captains talking to me as long as they are close to me and this normally stops the whole team gathering around you at every decision. The only problem is that there is nothing you can do if they do crowd around you, you just have to wait for something worthy of dissent, just wish it was a bit more like rugby in that respect. Most of the players at grassroots level don't realise that they can all go up to you at once and so if you remind them early on they normally do go through the captain after that. It works for simple stuff but big decisions never go down well with the team on the wrong end of it though.

Sounds like you've got it right with the club linos to me, I don't ask them to do offsides ( have had too many problems with people playing to the flag and not the whistle) but if you do make sure they know about the interfering with play rule because i tried having the linos doing offsides in a few matches and they just flag for everything. Also tell them to wait, wait wait then flag, it makes them just think a split second to see if the player is offside or wether he interferes with play. Finally make sure they know the basic correct signals (ie not just sticking the flag up and waving it for offside).

They're only minor details but can sometimes lead to less problems, you seem to have got it though, everyone (captains and players) know where you stand and that if the captains do nothing it is their fault as they have been warned. :)

I try to keep the chat as short as possible, and don't really include much. In my games (youth) the captains don't have the same qualities as an OA captain, usually they have been chosen because they are one of the best footballers on the team, and not usually because of the fact that they can try and talk to their team mates and control them etc. I have a chat with managers before the game instead, that way they pass on the message to players, usually about me, such as I always warn about foul throws to remind them, so I usually hear before we start 'be careful on your throws boys' etc.

Yep same with me I usually speak to the players too, just a quick intro especially at younger level because some players may never have had a "proper" ref before, as they get older though U14/U15 I think that it is important to give the the captains some responsibility for the team because they are getting to the end of youth/junior football and need to learn for OA.

But definitely try and keep everything short and sweet, too many things just make the players switch off and not listen.

My name, my AR's names.
Coin to home skipper - toss and catch please, away call it in air.

Your kick it is (to appropriate skipper)

Your game, enjoy it lads

Gave up saying anything further, they don't listen anyway!

Introductions, coin and off we go.

I would advise colleagues not to make a rod for your own back by saying you will or won't do this or that, or if X happens then Y will happen as a result.

My name's xxx, this is xxx and xxx my assistants. Lets keep the game going, and keep the language down. You help us and we will help you. Toss, and were off!

My name's xxx, this is xxx and xxx my assistants. Lets keep the game going, and keep the language down. You help us and we will help you. Toss, and were off!
I wouldn;t be comfortable saying I would 'help' them, opens you up to all kinds of acccusations.

Goal goes in : "Come on Ref where's the help you promised?"

My starter for 10 is usually:

" ...I'm here to keep time and chalk up the goals - other than that I'll be as busy as I need to be ... "

For Captains I call them in and introduce myself before saying to them that their is 2 options, that they get on with the game
and I let it flow or they commit silly fouls and it becomes a stop start game.

Then coin toss and start of the game

I acknowledge that they've heard it all before so don't tend to lecture them. One thing that was said to me while I was playing which has stuck, so now I use is "I'm not going to tell you how to play football so please don't tell me how to referee."

Back