A&H

Cards and how to use them

Andi Keats

Morning Guys and Girls,

I currently use the write on card system (made my own) and also a notepad (i change from game to game) but cannot settle on one way of doing things, i know each to their own but i was wondering what others thought of this or how you do things:

if you use a notepad then you have time to think and also write down the players details before getting your card out, whereas if I am using the write on cards, the players know immediately that i am either cautioning them or dismissing them which can cause issues, has anyone else had these problems or is this just me?

The Referee Store
I doubt this will help but heres what I do.

I have my notepad (in my right pocket on shorts) and call the player in and take his/her name

Then I have my yellow in my left shorts pocket or my red in my rear pocket on my shorts.

This way the player wont know whether its yellow or red.

Cheers Andy... that's the same as me when i use my notepad, I think i kinda answered my own question really as it has to be better not to make a bad situation worse by taking a red out and then asking their name!

I carry a notebook, with red and yellow cards on it, in my shirt pocket, yellow in my right shorts pocket and red in my back pocket. I will pull out my notebook, take the players name, and then put my notebook away, then pull out the card. Players generally know whats coming when you reach for the back pocket. Also handy carrying spare cards for the quick draw red/yellow

I love the element of surprise when they dont know what card your going to show. Just like the little turd who threw mud at me on Sunday he wasnt expecting a straight red lol

Quite interestingly in the league I am AR on I have spoken to two referees who have two yellows one in each side pocket lol. When players take the p out of them they ask the player when taking his/her name to pick a pocket (they think ones red and ones yellow) apparently this scares the crap outta them

haha... i like the sound of that! i might try that this weekend!
that must break the tension and also scare them into not doing anything stupid again!

Quite interestingly in the league I am AR on I have spoken to two referees who have two yellows one in each side pocket lol. When players take the p out of them they ask the player when taking his/her name to pick a pocket (they think ones red and ones yellow) apparently this scares the crap outta them
yep done that before... works well but only if the time is right

I use the write-on cards and I don't particularly see what's wrong with having the card colour known before its properly "administered." So far as I'm concerned, it can serve to diffuse the situation. Often when a SO offence occurs, the offended team is after you about it and if they see you holding the red, they won't be - even more useful, it can diffuse a situation when a player is going to strike the player who needs a sending off. If he sees the red in your hand, he's less likely to react.

If you are trying to slow it down and take some time, than it might serve you to call the player over with nothing in your hand, speak to him about why his behaviour is unacceptable and then take out the correct card to get in the information.

I used to write all the player names down on the pad in my notebook before the game. On the outside of the book I had a yellow card stuck on either side. If it was a caution I used to just close the book and hold it up. If it was a dismissal, then the book wen tback in the pocket and I reached into my back left pocket and produced the red card.

As for those who have 2 yellows and ask a player to guess, it may amuse you but I'm sure it costs you club marks as the players and their managers will think you're a bit of a numpty and being deliberately provocative.

When given the teamsheets, I ask if the names match the numbers. I then write all the names into my notebook.

I prefer players not knowing what colour the card is, as I've had an incident where I was going to caution, player then decided to get abusive so became a straight red

Good point, Ross, but I think it would be an even stronger point sending him off if he knew he was only getting a yellow, became abusive and it changed to red. He and his teammates might think twice about becoming abusive next time.

Think I just prefer the element of surprise :) keep em guessing

I use a walett, that has both yellow and red in them to record the info, but then put my walett black in my pocket, and take out the appropriate card from my pocket, similar to Ross, I like to keep them guessing :) Also, with my system, you can easily take a card out to difuse a situation :)

I keep a yellow and a red in the top shirt pocket. Good for the second caution, as it is done tidily. None of this delay when trying to get out the red - yes I'm looking at you Andre Marriner!

Other yellow left shorts pokcet, book in the right and red at the back. Prefer the oval one as it sits more comfortably when running.

I've been out on the line to a referee who carried no less than 5 yellows and 5 reds, he even wanted me to carry the same incase I had to take over. Bit overkill for me if I'm honest

Bit worried about the remarks centred around "keeping players guessing"......

If i am going to caution a player, then it is one of the first things i say to a player....that way you may diffuse any potential tension where the player is unsure of what he is going to get etc. Also, if you have a player who is approaching you clearly wound up and in danger of talking/acting themselves into a harsher sanction, it gives you an opportunity to calm them down.....

Of course there will always be the numpty who is hell bent on having a pop.....then they deserve everything they get. But we don't have to increase the tension by trying to be clever over what colour card to show.

Back