A&H

Caught with my pants down...

Dylan_V

Level 6 Referee
Learnt a key lesson today, and most likely killed my chances at 6-5.

Set the scene:
Reds vs Blues, 10:30 KO on Sunday morning local league.
Assessed the day before (Sat Afternoon) - Very good assessment, expected to be 'Above Standard'
Plan to arrive at 9:40 (usual time I look to arrive) - woke up late and arrived at 10:08.
Usually have a strict diet schedule for the morning - did not stick to this due to being behind schedule.

Before the Game:
Arrived at the pitch and immediately greeted both Coaches before checking the pitch. Here comes the key lesson...
I assumed that I wouldn't be assessed, and took shortcuts in attempts to cover my late arrival;
  • Nets were not checked
  • Player equipment was not checked
  • No warmup
Game kicked off at 10:32.

Game itself:
Probably the most challenging game I have had this season, of which the Red team were particularly naughty for dissent. I let too much go in the first half as I opted to try the 'stepped approach' with the captain; however I quickly realised that the captain was going to be the main culprit.

Got to half time with 1 caution for persistence, and game appeared to be in control. At this point, I recognised that I needed to turn the temperature up and play less advantage / more cards. Coincidently, I also noticed that an Assessor was standing around 40 yards away, and realised that my shortcuts would have been fully noted - Pie in face moment.

Second half resulted in 4 Yellows (2 C2, 1 C4 and 1 C1 AA), and a Red for Captain for S6 to the Club Assistant, as well as two penalties. I feel that due to my lack of 'clamping down' on dissent in the first half, the situation escalated when I looked to use cards. There was also a couple of key incidents which brought the temperature up (Captain refusing to leave Vicinity, penalty against reds etc).

Post Game:
Assessor: "What in the world happened there then?"
As a summary, he picked up on all my shortcomings, that I had lost match control, and that a large part of the game escalating was due to my inability to clamp down in the first half. He also stated he felt I "spotted him" at half time, and amended my game - I disagreed, stating I was aware the temperature was rising and acted accordingly, but noted his point.

In summary:

I have now had a 5th (most likely final) assessment for 6-5, of which the scoring is as follows;
2 Standard Expected
1 Well Above Standard Expected

I also expect from yesterday's game an 'Above Expected'. I fully expect this fixture to be marked as a Below Standard / 'Well Below Standard Expected', and I feel that my hard work throughout the season has been lost due to this game. I am disappointed, but I know exactly what I did wrong and accept full responsibility for the consequences. All I can do now is continue to work hard, and learn from the experience; and hope that the result is positive come March.

To all going for Promotion, don't assume anything. As the saying goes...
When you assume, you make an a*se out of U & Me.

The Referee Store
Sorry to hear that mate. Funnily enough, my least good assessment this season has also been on a Sunday having similarly been assessed the previous day. I've now made a mental note not to put in both weekend games no matter how tempting.

Obviously what happened today won't help your chances. However one 'rogue' assessment might not weigh too heavily, especially if you really nail your last one (I thought we were down to have 6 this season?).

Keep your chin up and best of luck with any future ones.

Last edited:
This has been said before, but there's nothing stopping your County FA giving you an extra assessment if they feel this was not your normal standard.

Also, don't second guess the result, you never know how it is scored and it may be that you end up with the needed average. Keep on terms with your RDO and see what happens, the promo season runs for another 12 weeks yet.

The one important thing that will be a strength in the report should be that you took the action necessary. A well below average assessment would have been taking no action at all. Chalk this up to experience and always referee the same. If you have to delay kick off to do the pre match, then do so. Explain to the league the reason.

To all promotion candidates, please don't referee differently for Assessors as sh*t like this happens.

Points taken on board for you for sure, but its poor that your being assessed twice in 2 days, and that the assessor hasn't had the decency to let you know. Gone are the days of hiding behind a tree.

I assessed someone earlier in season who 'by my watch' blew for half time at 44mins 57 seconds. I asked him at full time what his watch said when he blew, fully expecting him to say 'dead on 45, why?' but no he said ' a minute or so early, it was getting a bit heated'........Can't help some people.

I wonder if the rushed start threw you off your game? That, and realising you were busted when you saw the assessor....lol

If the assessor doesn't want the fact that he gets spotted to be offputting to the referee then that's an argument against his methodology!!! Of course knowing you're being assessed can potentially have an impact, especially if you find when you already feel like you're have a bit of an ordinary arvo at the office...

A couple of queries though....
1)Why were you using the captain for the stepped approach? What else were you doing about the dissent? Is that normal over there?

2) You mentioned the captain didn't leave the vicinity after being sent - did he eventually leave?

Interesting points from everyone, and can't disagree with any of it. I agree it was harsh to be assessed twice in the same weekend, but by putting both games in for assessment, I ran the risk and the Assessor Coordinator was fully within his rights to do so.

Regarding the above queries, I always look to use the stepped approach and man manage situations where possible - my failure was to recognise that this approach wouldn't work for this game.

The player eventually left the vicinity and remained for the game. Upon reflection I recollect that the Assessor stepped in to remove the player from the vicinity - whilst the efforts were honest, I felt this undermined my authority on the game to an extent.

Upon reflection I recollect that the Assessor stepped in to remove the player from the vicinity - whilst the efforts were honest, I felt this undermined my authority on the game to an extent.
Honest and probably trying to save you from further hassle and threat to your match control. Essentially he was covering your a*se but you can't see it.

Back