A&H

Cautioning CAR

AmitM

Level 6 Referee
Hi All,
In my game today a CAR questioned one of my fouls. It was just a question - no dissent - and said "fair enough" as soon as I explained it. I was wondering what you would do if there was dissent. He was an assistant coach, so can you give them a caution? And if you did, would they still continue with running the line, or would someone else have to take over?

The Referee Store
Hi All,
In my game today a CAR questioned one of my fouls. It was just a question - no dissent - and said "fair enough" as soon as I explained it. I was wondering what you would do if there was dissent. He was an assistant coach, so can you give them a caution? And if you did, would they still continue with running the line, or would someone else have to take over?
If he was listed as a club official (coach or similar) and dissent was sufficient for a caution then you can do so. Usually a clear warning on the first occasion is a good start point.
You can remove any CAR who is not doing the job in a satisfactory manner and ask the club to appoint a replacement.
Before doing so, make sure you know the competition rules - can a substitute act as CAR, must the club appoint a suitable CAR, etc.

I’ve sent a CAR off for abusive language before, but it’s worth checking with the league where you stand with that. It’s a rule in my league that the CAR has to be named on the team sheet and that any non play participant on the team sheet is considered a team official.

If you can’t card, you’re well within your rights to ask their team to have them changed. They are their to assist you and if they aren’t doing that, then they shouldn’t be there.

Back