A&H

Championship 27/6

I thought he only blew after Bacunas challenge.

I thought he blew before. Had he blown after there would have been no obvious justification for a caution for Costa, his foul on the Huddersfield player was not worthy of a caution and it wasn't for persistence.

The Referee Store
Not 100% no, I agree it was a kicking game in the 70/80s at times but we now get 11 Arsenal players on skis at the weekend and a soft referee not wise to the Fallon De Floor antics...... Your sandwich brigade may not like the old game but I would say that a large percentage of fans fell in love with the game back then and this modern tactical bland p u ssy tackle game we have today just isn't the same!!
I think the simple response to this is we don’t want to see top players kicked around and injured just because they are better footballers. That’s not the sport and let’s face it, people want to watch top quality players like Ronaldo/Messi at the top of their game. They don’t want to see Messi chopped down every 5 minutes

I think the simple response to this is we don’t want to see top players kicked around and injured just because they are better footballers. That’s not the sport and let’s face it, people want to watch top quality players like Ronaldo/Messi at the top of their game. They don’t want to see Messi chopped down every 5 minutes
I agree, but equally we don’t want diving being exploited by cleverer footballers deceiving referees to get decisions that are worth millions. It’s gone from too much contact to virtually none, I preferred somewhere in the middle TBF.

I agree, but equally we don’t want diving being exploited by cleverer footballers deceiving referees to get decisions that are worth millions. It’s gone from too much contact to virtually none, I preferred somewhere in the middle TBF.
Of course we don’t want diving in the game but I’m not sure where your distinction between tackling in the 80’s to now comes into that. Protecting players from being kicked around is different to players going to ground from minimal contact

Of course we don’t want diving in the game but I’m not sure where your distinction between tackling in the 80’s to now comes into that. Protecting players from being kicked around is different to players going to ground from minimal contact
The point being that players are now exaggerating the minimal contact allowed into something that its not. Rolling around like Jessies when they haven't been touched and doing somersaults to gain pressure on referees to do something like cards and dismissals. Its a tactic that they practice so please don't say the don't!!

The point being that players are now exaggerating the minimal contact allowed into something that its not. Rolling around like Jessies when they haven't been touched and doing somersaults to gain pressure on referees to do something like cards and dismissals. Its a tactic that they practice so please don't say the don't!!
I haven’t said they don’t, what I’m saying is that your link between no longer being able to kick people like in the 80’s and people diving nowadays is totally irrelevant

I haven’t said they don’t, what I’m saying is that your link between no longer being able to kick people like in the 80’s and people diving nowadays is totally irrelevant
See, talking down to people isn’t a good trait, QR, you can happily chose to ignore my opinion, you can happily chose to debate or disagree my opinion, either way, that’s fine. But there is 100% a link between the path we’ve gone down from the 80s game to today’s contrived dross! Diving is more prevalent at all levels including the championship as the financial rewards are potentially huge.

See, talking down to people isn’t a good trait, QR, you can happily chose to ignore my opinion, you can happily chose to debate or disagree my opinion, either way, that’s fine. But there is 100% a link between the path we’ve gone down from the 80s game to today’s contrived dross! Diving is more prevalent at all levels including the championship as the financial rewards are potentially huge.
You’re not really explaining how though which is my issue here. You’re now moving onto financial implications which again, it’s no relevance to the link between challenges in the 80’s to people diving. All I asked is why you think they are linked and how we have got from A to B and you think I’m talking down to you?

diving is an awful part of the game and I’ll never say anything different about that but I genuinely don’t see how reducing the threshold on tackling has caused diving to get worse. What would have suggested the lawmakers have done differently over the years? Just continued to allow excessive force?

No, although it was a tougher game back then there weren’t necessarily more injuries. Hard tackles aren’t specifically leg breaking tackles, technology has changed, diet, exercise, medical treatments, fitness, etc. Players are fitter these days but not specifically better footballers. Modern injuries seem to be more muscular and not as career threatening as they were back then. I enjoyed the championship, refs let a bit more go, skill levels were less but the cream usually rises to the top. Lots of reasons to enjoy the EPL but I don’t enjoy the play acting side of teams and the refs eager to please the bigger teams who seem to be better at it for some strange reason!

Back