A&H

Change of cards in friendlies

The Referee Store
First preseason friendly. Let both managers know before the game that cards will be used as in any other game.
Couple of incidents, early on in the first half striker one on one and attempts to round the keeper. Keeper trips him with no intention of playing the ball. Penalty given and went with the booking but had a word telling him that any other time, it’s a red. No arguments, everyone happy.
Second incident late on in the game, someone decides to take me on with comments like ‘you’re f’ing blind’ and ‘youre a f’ing C’. Straight red, see you later. Manager approached me after and asks me why I sent him off, explained the scenario. ‘Fair enough,’ shakes my hand and walks off.

First preseason friendly. Let both managers know before the game that cards will be used as in any other game.
Couple of incidents, early on in the first half striker one on one and attempts to round the keeper. Keeper trips him with no intention of playing the ball. Penalty given and went with the booking but had a word telling him that any other time, it’s a red. No arguments, everyone happy.
Second incident late on in the game, someone decides to take me on with comments like ‘you’re f’ing blind’ and ‘youre a f’ing C’. Straight red, see you later. Manager approached me after and asks me why I sent him off, explained the scenario. ‘Fair enough,’ shakes my hand and walks off.
Well done Quaver, good work....

When accepting friendlies I often let the managers know that it will be refereed as if it was a League match. Not giving cards in friendlies when you normally would will only cause you problems during the season. We are there to uphold the law and ensure player safety and the match is conducted in a accpetable manner and going against laws of the game isn't you doing your job properly.

Referee every game as if it was a cup final.

I did a friendly a couple of weeks ago. 2 players starting having a bit of a row, all handbags and hackles raised, there had been nothing in the game prior to this, so I choose to call them over and give them a loud talking to. The conversation is far enough away from the benches so they can't get involved, but I'm speaking loud enough so they, and other players can hear it (the 2 players were isolated). The conversation went something like this:

Me: ok lads, not much in that and you've both made a bit more out of it than you need to. Even though pre-season if you carry on you'll be in the book and it'll cost you money

Player 1: Yeah fair enough ref, no problems

Player 2: I've got a job, I don't give a ****

Me: Name please

I did a friendly a couple of weeks ago. 2 players starting having a bit of a row, all handbags and hackles raised, there had been nothing in the game prior to this, so I choose to call them over and give them a loud talking to. The conversation is far enough away from the benches so they can't get involved, but I'm speaking loud enough so they, and other players can hear it (the 2 players were isolated). The conversation went something like this:

Me: ok lads, not much in that and you've both made a bit more out of it than you need to. Even though pre-season if you carry on you'll be in the book and it'll cost you money

Player 1: Yeah fair enough ref, no problems

Player 2: I've got a job, I don't give a ****

Me: Name please
Reminds me of an incident I had last season with two players in a friendly game. Player tackles from behind, obvious yellow card.. They start a row and I caution both of them. Player that got tackled starts clapping and says: "Good job ref, suck his dick even harder." Gave him a second one right away. Told him to have fun in the shower early!

Reminds me of an incident I had last season with two players in a friendly game. Player tackles from behind, obvious yellow card.. They start a row and I caution both of them. Player that got tackled starts clapping and says: "Good job ref, suck his dick even harder." Gave him a second one right away. Told him to have fun in the shower early!
That's a straight red. No ifs no buts.

Back