A&H

Ched Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
It may be contentious, but I'd say "Yes". My view is that he's been convicted and done his time. He therefore has a right to get on with his life.

There are many lines of work where a conviction like his would bar you from employment. I don't think he should be allowed back on a football pitch in a professional capacity ever again.

Think of this:
1) he can have nothing to do with any academy or youth events as he is on the sex offenders register.
2) every game he plays or perhaps even attends could result in some very unpleasant chanting from the opposition fans.
3) the stick he will get from other players is surely going to be unbelievable.

Why would he want to go through that humiliation? Any club who hires him is going to get totally ruined.

At Tottenham? No not good enough. At Southend? Definitely. He's served his time - let him go back to work.

Being from Sheffield, it has been one of the major talking points in footballing circles recently. Now, before I go on, I will put it out there that I'm a Wednesday fan, so saw the whole case through blue-tinted specs.

I can see why the bloke isn't "repenting" this crime, as he believes he is innocent, and is appealing the conviction. As such, any "apology" would most definitely be used against him as an admission of guilt. This is seen to be somewhat of a stumbling block for some clubs, but I can see Ched's view on this, as any statement would be hippocritcal.

From a footballing point of view, I wouldn't want him at MY club due to the adverse effect it would have on sponsorship, PR, etc. (see what it did to Sheff Utd when they were considering it as the prime example)

I would have no problem with him returning to football, as he is perfectly entitled to do so, he has served his time and can now go back into employment. Further, he was a good quality footballer who could add something to the game as a whole. However, as I've said, I would be up in arms if my club was the one to take a gamble on him and offer him a contract

Personally I'd never have him at Burton, for one out chairman knows better so it wouldn't happen but we pride ourself on being a family club so signing him would shoot down that!

He hasn't even served his full sentence, he was sentenced to 5 years and was released from prison after 2 and a half! I'm don't want to get into a law debate but how, unless you are proven to be innocent, can that be right!!

I know a lot of the press say "He's served his time", which I can understand if he'd done something wrong through circumstance or being down on his luck - like breaking and entering when his missus threw him out - or getting caught shoplifting a can of beans because he was too poor to eat.

But I dont think anyone should be given a second chance having 'served' their time for any high level crime such as rape.

He said if he doesnt play professional football again, he'd become a painter and decorator... Personally, if I ran a home renovations company - even I wouldnt want him there.

And to show no remorse of have an apologetic bone in your body. Sickening.

I know a lot of the press say "He's served his time", which I can understand if he'd done something wrong through circumstance or being down on his luck - like breaking and entering when his missus threw him out - or getting caught shoplifting a can of beans because he was too poor to eat.

But I dont think anyone should be given a second chance having 'served' their time for any high level crime such as rape.

He said if he doesnt play professional football again, he'd become a painter and decorator... Personally, if I ran a home renovations company - even I wouldnt want him there.

And to show no remorse of have an apologetic bone in your body. Sickening.

I'm not comfortable with this conviction. He's not a predator, he went to a hotel room with a woman, was she expecting to play scrabble?

The first person who had sex with her was found not guilty.

This is a topic which can be very emotive for some and likely to draw strong opinions. Can we please bear that in mind when posting. Nothing untoward so far, just a friendly request to keep it civil please.

Bottom line is that he has completed the punishment handed down to him by a duly appointed court of law.
It's not his fault that the system allows release after 50% of his sentence so he cannot be criticised for that.

There are many prominent sportspeople still plying their trade post conviction.....the only reason this has caught the Spotlight is because sex crimes have become this countries equivalent of McCarthyism.......

Ched put himself in a compromising situation with a woman, it doesn't take much for an allegation to be made against someone. I think a lot of us out there have been in similar situations, it becomes one persons word against another and very little evidence which can be inconsistent can find a conviction.

Given that he is on licence and on the sex offenders register, NO! ? You tell me any occupation where you would hire a convicted rapist? Irrespective of him "serving his time" Whilst it remains on his record as "live" under the Rehabilatation of Offenders Act, he should not be employed in an area where it is normal to be in daily contact with impressionable or vulnerable people

dailiy_mail.png

Is alive and well in football it seems.....

Yes. We, for all its faults, live in a democratic society where laws are created and the punishment for breaking these laws is mandated in turn to our elected representatives and the properly established institutions of the criminal justice system.
This individual has been through the process and has been convicted, omprisoned and now released on licence. A key element of the system is meant to be rehabilitation; all the evidence suggests that rehabilitation through education and employment is what prevents recidivism. This man is entitled, under his licence, to work like any other offender.
We don't have to like this, but we must accept it if we are to live within democratic principles. Much of contemporary politics and society is now run under such blatant populism that many now seem unable to reach reasoned and morally justifiable decisions.
Remember that such disregard for democracy, and rampant populism, is what led us in turn to events like the burning of witches, kristallnacht, the holocaust, McCarthyism, moral panics over single mothers and their children, etc, etc, etc.

1) he can have nothing to do with any academy or youth events as he is on the sex offenders register.

Not necessarily true, unless an ancillary order is made. His offence is not with a child so might not be the case. Might only apply to unsupervised access, for example.

Last edited:
He'll remain on the sex offenders register for a period of time (as set out at his sentencing) which is different to being on the list as a convicted paedophile.

To ask a question on this - let's say he signs for a club with a female physio/masseur/doctor. How would they feel? Imagine a physio who has to work one-to-one rehabbing Evans after an injury?
Too many issues IMO

He'll remain on the sex offenders register for a period of time (as set out at his sentencing) which is different to being on the list as a convicted paedophile.

To ask a question on this - let's say he signs for a club with a female physio/masseur/doctor. How would they feel? Imagine a physio who has to work one-to-one rehabbing Evans after an injury?
Too many issues IMO

Then that individual would have to be professional and do the job their paid for.

I've heard it said elsewhere and have to agree - perhaps it's better for all concerned including the player himself - to wait for the outcome of his appeal. Conviction overturned - full on apologies from those who slated him, let him back to work regardless. Conviction upheld - matter of conscience for clubs concerned.

Before the moralising starts it wasn't like clubs were falling over themselves to sign Marlon King was it? Oh...hang on.....:oops:

Then that individual would have to be professional and do the job their paid for.
Correct. They're under a moral & legal obligation to do so, but is that fair on them? Why should they be put in a position that would, understandably, make them feel incredibly uncomfortable? I for one wouldn't want my sister/cousins/female friends to be alone in a room with a convicted rapist!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back