A&H

Children wearing Spectacles

Would you have allowed the child to play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chris Crowe

I was refereeing an U11 game last week and prior to the kick off I notice a player wearing glasses, I asked the manager that the player remove them before he played in the game as they could potentially cause an injury if the ball were to hit him and the face and possibly injure other players as well, the Manager stated the lad could not see without them so I ask that he not play and the manger duly obliged.

At half time I was greeted by a rather irate Mother who asked if I knew the rules of the game and that her son was entitled to play as she had got it in writing that he was allowed to play, to which I said please show me and she could not , she also then proceeded to state I was discriminating against people who wear glasses which i found amusing as I wear them myself as well as my 2 sons and that she was going to report me to the League.

I pointed out that I was not there to stop kids playing football that was not what I want to do , I was protecting her son's safety and the other players. If the lad had the sports goggles that players can wear there would not have been a problem.

At the end of the game I went to see the mother to give her my name and FAN Number for when she was reporting me to the League, unfortunately she would not take it and proceeded to tell me she had just found something on the internet on her phone that said her son could have played again she would not show me though.

Would be interested to know if any referee had come across a similar situation and how they handled it?

The Referee Store
They need to be approved sports glasses (safety lenses) or the kid doesn't get to play. They usually have some kid of strap to hold them in place also.

And no letter from anyone other than an optician means anything. Good on you for sticking to your guns and ensuring the kid didn't come to harm. Difficult in the face of those who don't appreciate the damage glasses can do if smashed during a game.

Thanks, when I was coaching ( U12 through to U17) we had a Lad who we got funding for getting the type of glasses with the straps that you refer to, So I know they are fine to play in.

Reactions: SM
I've just been on the BRC and they gave exactly the example you have had.

They also gave the outcome which is exactly as you have handled it.

The FA said even if a parent wanted to write and complain they would back the ref 100% and retort with 'the participation in one game does not justify the risk of the loss of a child's sight for a lifetime."

Well done.

They can also be rimmed but none the less you still have to ask the parent/player permission. Prior to kick too kick off

Safety comes first, and if that means preventing a child from playing, as unpleasant as it is, then so be it.

Ditto. Had a kid wearing glasses, I approached him and saw he also had the safety strap on. Consulted the manager and the player and just said that usually id expect them to be sports goggles, but they showed me they were those super bendy glassy - so no chance of shattering.

Happy days.

a lot of referees out of step with the F.A. on this one, it would seem, judging by an email received from a local league ref sec this week

Dear Referees

See attached the recommendation from the FA about glasses being worn at football matches.

'Children and grassroots football: Whilst The FA recommends Polycarbonate lenses we recognise this may be an issue for children playing
in grassroots football. Therefore we encourage referees officiating in grassroots youth football to be tolerant over glasses. However the individual
referee has to show concern for all those playing in that game and if s/he feels there is something dangerous in the glasses i.e. sharp edges, etc, then in
order to protect players and also the wearer him/herself s/he has the authority to say the glasses can’t be worn. '

Unless the glasses are dangerous the players should be allowed to play.

The website address is below if you want a direct link.
https://www.sussexfa.com/~/media/Co...guardingplayingfootballandwearingglasses.ashx

Last edited:
Back