A&H

World Cup China vs England

The Referee Store
Somebody's going to have to explain that one to me because I don't see it. Bronze was in an offside position when the original cross came in but then the ball is played again - either by a team mate, or by a defender (it doesn't matter which because even if it did come off the defender, it definitely wasn't a deflection) at which point she's not in an offside position.

Fairly poor decision, for mine, on the stroke of halftime to rule out England's fourth.

#2 in an offside position when ball is crossed into the PA, but ball is then contested by a defender and an attacker. Defender gets a head in it, but it appears onside attacker also gets a touch. #2, now onside, plays the ball.

After another touch, the ball is laid off to the goalscorer who slots home.

The ground announcement then added to the confusion - 'is this thing on? Yeh, so #2 was in an offside position. No goal.'

Ridiculous decision. Poor application of LOTG. Her position while offside was not interfering with play in any way. When the ball was next touched she was back onside (behind the ball so irrelevant who headed it), and therefore able to play it to the striker without an offence. Laughable. Lucky it's unlikely to be critical...
Wouldn't be surprised if that sends this refereeing team out at the Group stage...

I think the Chinese defender was judged to have not made a controlled (and uncontested) touch. So its offside as she was in an offside position on the initial cross
That's all well and good assuming that the touch needs to be uncontested in order to be a deliberate play. I don't accept that it does but we'll put that to one side.

It looks a hell of a lot like the England player touched the ball. If so, the offside position needs to be determined afresh. At that stage, #2 was very much onside.

hmmmm ... her jump was deliberate and as "controlled" as any other header... the LOTG says nothing about contested or not.

Her play was deliberate... for me ..I would not have given this as an offside offence. If the England player touched it either way then any consideration of the defender is irrelevant...Bronze became onside at that point

Extract LOTG 11

"*‘Deliberate play’ (excluding deliberate handball) is when a player has control of the ball with the possibility of:

• passing the ball to a team-mate;
  • gaining possession of the ball; or
  • clearing the ball (e.g. by kicking or heading it)
If the pass, attempt to gain possession or clearance by the player in control of the ball is inaccurate or unsuccessful, this does not negate the fact that the player ‘deliberately played’ the ball."

Can someone please help me understand why we got a yellow when the China penalty kick was awarded.

Can someone please help me understand why we got a yellow when the China penalty kick was awarded.
Stopping a promising attack - some referees/refereeing organisations are of the view that stopping a shot on goal (which is not obviously going in) is the same as stopping a promising attack.
There is a lot of debate about it on this forum

Stopping a promising attack - some referees/refereeing organisations are of the view that stopping a shot on goal (which is not obviously going in) is the same as stopping a promising attack.
There is a lot of debate about it on this forum
Is that official advice to interpret that way then? Should I be doing this?

My first thought was if it's a pen it's a red.

That's all well and good assuming that the touch needs to be uncontested in order to be a deliberate play. I don't accept that it does but we'll put that to one side.

It looks a hell of a lot like the England player touched the ball. If so, the offside position needs to be determined afresh. At that stage, #2 was very much onside.

The ball is not headed, it comes off the Chinese defenders back, that means it’s a deflection and not a deliberate play.

The only decision in this situation can be offside.

Is that official advice to interpret that way then? Should I be doing this?

My first thought was if it's a pen it's a red.
Nah, probably not red. It was just as likely to hit the keeper as go I the net so not an obvious goal.

You'll just have to have a think about what you think the laws require and have a talk to the referees in your area to see what they are doing in those circumstances

The ball is not headed, it comes off the Chinese defenders back, that means it’s a deflection and not a deliberate play.

You must have good eyes if we're watching the same broadcast. And if the England player touched the ball - which certainly looks to have happened - the only decision could be that the goal should have stood.

That's how it looked to me, though I haven't yet had chance to study replays and I don't think we had a suitable angle to see this clearly during the on-field review. VAR might have said in the background it was her back.

The explanation from the referee was not useful at all.

Referee saved on comms re location of dropped ball. Not saved in that China were deprived of a good attacking opportunity by her being trapped in the line of their shot

Nah, probably not red. It was just as likely to hit the keeper as go I the net so not an obvious goal.

You'll just have to have a think about what you think the laws require and have a talk to the referees in your area to see what they are doing in those circumstances
thanks

Referee saved on comms re location of dropped ball. Not saved in that China were deprived of a good attacking opportunity by her being trapped in the line of their shot
Absolutely dreadful positioning. The confusion regarding who to drop the ball to would've caused a riot in an average Suplly/Contrib game

Absolutely dreadful positioning. The confusion regarding who to drop the ball to would've caused a riot in an average Suplly/Contrib game
Perhaps trying to impress by getting too close?

Probably a good match for a learning experience. It'll all be forgotten tomorrow

Back