A&H

Chris Smalling - Caution - ManU vs ManC

Would you caution Chris Smalling?

• Total voters

drahc

L3 Referee. EFL Assistant. Tutor. Observer. Coach.
Level 3 Referee
Observer/Tutor
This happened a while ago, but is still on my mind

http://gfycat.com/SilkyLividAmoeba

We all agree this is an IDFK, but I remember Chris Smalling receiving a caution for this, the first time he had done it.

All seemed well, but then I thought to my self, what was he actually cautioned for? I mention it was the first time he had done such an act, so it wasn't for persistent, he hadn't delayed the restart and so on...

Would others caution in the same scenario?

The Referee Store
it could be for tactical foul denying a promising attack (defender all the way up the pitch.... we cannot see what is going on further down the pitch) or playing in a dangerous manner I guess., if Utd had all their players up pushing for a goal etc)

SM - two very good points!

If my memory serves me correctly... United had just had a corner and Hart was looking to quickly distribute the ball while city players were getting forward and united players were trackig back. For me it's a caution.

Although I can't remember if it's a mandatory caution in the LOTG it#s been met with a caution every time I've seen it happen on TV.
The goalkeeper only had 6 seconds to release the ball (technically) so to challenge him whilst doing this is unfair.
Cannot be delay restart of play as play has not stopped. And is never breaking up a promising attack. This could only come under USB for me.

You want to keep any match control that's a caution, otherwise your allowing every player the right to challenge the keeper when he releases the ball.

Which he's going to put a lot of force into, so it's a potential serious injury.

In these situations I tend to shout let the keeper play and if challenges the keeper like smalling it's an easy caution with no fuss from anyone.

"A player must be penalised for playing in a dangerous manner if he kicks or
attempts to kick the ball when the goalkeeper is in the process of releasing"
So a caution ISN'T mandatory. But it seems to follow most times and would be for playing in a dangerous manner.

Just your typical case of special protection for goalkeepers.
I'd suggest the majority of PIADM decisions given involving a high foot in open play have a higher probability of injury than your typical attempted block on the goalies punt. If you're given a yellow for the Smalling incident then to be consistent you should be giving one nearly every time you ping a player for PIADM.

Back