A&H

Open Age Christian Leagues

Nimbleblade

Does anyone have any experience of refereeing in Christian Leagues?

Looking at the Southern Area Christian League and wondered what the standard of football is

The Referee Store
Why are there leagues based on religion? Are they so blinded but inner hatred of other religions that they can't play football against Muslims or Hindus? Who cares what religion you are, you're there to kick a leather ball around a pitch.

Sorry OP, not an answer but just religious leagues winds me up.

From my experience they bare little difference to a regular OA league. Football makes people behave in a very un-church like manner.

Perhaps they don't swear?

I tell you what though, when the teams come out and there's 22 versions of that crucifix on the head/chest routine followed by them looking and pointing to the sky a.l.a. Frank Lampard would get right on my thrupny bits.

I just don't see how an FA can allow it, it's basically saying we don't wish to compete in sport against other religions? I get it when I drive though London and I see a sign for a Jewish team, in a massively Jewish area, that makes sense but for a whole league??

Whilst we need to remember the original reason for the thread, it's a reason for a league to exist, some of the players can't take part in Sunday leagues owing to the fact that they are at church when the games would usually be going on. Like I said before, some teams are genuinely church based and play in a way that is noticeably different to other teams (that difference being the idea) but many are made of players from Sunday sides who aren't church goers and give referees just as much abuse as in any other league.

Come off it, search for the number of Jewish / Cypriot / other based league titles, then look at who playes in them. Old Boys teams would be classified as equally disciminitory, but who of the players has actually been to the school? Can confirm that from the RBS team most are current HSBC, teachers, 2 coppers and a L5 referee.

The world seems to be set of freedom and inclusion of everything at every level - so why is the London Underground league only for current staff of LU? seems to discriminate against all the contractors that work with them day to day and "ex-Staff" just cos they dont work there anymore (even if made redundant) now that's not exactly inclusive is it?

Christain Legaue is no different to the Islamic League, Jewish League and Welsh League. Mostly a name for a name to enable more teams an people to play, but probably with a slight leaning towards some-thing.

Oh, so they might say a prayer before KO - like players in the PL do (chest cross, kiss fingersm hands palm up looking up and saying a few words)?

From my experience they bare little difference to a regular OA league. Football makes people behave in a very un-church like manner.
Our local RAs have played a charity end of season game since the early 70s all players must be Ra members ,there is a proper trophy to play for every time I have played in it there has been at least 1 sent off and a fight and a general Hostile atmosphere and some shocking language ......:eek: One game I would not like to referee !!! 30 qualified referees who become animals for 90 mins per year ....Shocking!!! :D

I referee in the Strathclyde Churches league and the standard is ok, like any other amateur league some teams are better than others. Behaviour wise they are excellent to referee, the vast majority of the players are very sporting, lots of friendly banter, usually to a man they call you "Sir!" Very little dissent, no crazy challenges

We also had a Referees game in our Association, last season,Over 35s v Under 35s we had one red card and 7 yellows lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SM
I referee in the Derby Church league. Nothing different to a normal OA game, expect we have a prayer before the game.

Back