A&H

Junior/Youth Clearing the ball for a throw, but going well over the top

DaveMac

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
At the weekend had green v orange. Orange keeper was very proactive. Out his box to sweep up balls etc and clear their lines. He also had a massive kick. Towards the end of the match they were 5-3 up. A couple of long balls were over hit and the orange keeper swept them up and the green strikers were closing him down, meaning he was putting them out for throws. He soon spotted this and was taking the ball right to the touch line and kicking it as far as possible out of play for the throw. So the greens had to go the best part of 90 yards to collect the ball. Now technically he was kicking the ball out, but was obviously doing it with a degree of force that was totally unneeded in order to waste time.

The greens were moaning. But other than stopping my watch for them to collect the ball as it had gone so far, as I always do if the ball goes onto another pitch or into bushes etc and isn't easily retrievable, was there any other action I could have taken against the keeper?

The Referee Store
Nope. Aside from having other match balls ready to come on there is not a lot you can do except what you are doing in stopping the watch.

I thought as much. In fairness it's exactly sort of thing I used to do so can't really fault him too much!

This really made me laugh, I played in a cup final a few years back at Edgeley Park, Stockport. We were 2-1 up with 5 to go and me playing centre back each time the ball came anywhere near me I put it over the main stand, it worked we won the cup!!!! The opposition must have hated me!!

Your quite right though no law against it all you can do is add every second of additional time.

make sure any spare balls are kept on the halfway line though as I learnt in the past that the losing (home) team had people on the sidelines holding balls to get quick restarts and it caused mayhem!

very frustrating for the losing team but if it was reversed would they do similar ???

Goes without saying they'd do exactly the same. It was u17, but boy this lad could kick. From a goal kick he was getting the ball to drop on the edge of the other teams box nearly. It was a smallish pitch, but not tiny. When they lined up for his first goal kick I thought they were all mental being so far up the pitch. I soon learnt my lesson!

It was made all the more touchy as I'd booked two players and both were for kicking the ball away so needless to say his over enthusiastic clearances brought on a fair number of complaints!

Last edited by a moderator:
Goes without saying they'd do exactly the same. It was u17, but boy this lad could kick. From a goal kick he was getting the ball to drop on the edge of the other teams box nearly. It was a smallish pitch, but not tiny. When they lined up for his first goal kick I thought they were all mental being so far up the pitch. I soon learnt my lesson!

It was made all the more touchy as I'd booked two players and both were for kicking the ball away so needless to say his over enthusiastic clearances brought on a fair number of complaints!
It wasn't the he's offside reff was it lol

It wasn't the he's offside reff was it lol

Surprisingly not. But after his first kick I heard three of the green teams saying something along the lines of flipping hell (admittedly their language was slightly more colourful) as the ball sailed over their heads. I must admit I muttered something something very similar under my breathe as well!

What was worse is his drop kicks were just as long. Due to the position of the sun and moisture on the pitch it was really hard to see the lines of the penalty box, so had to get within about five yards of the box to check what was going on in case of pen shouts etc. So it meant if he collected the ball and went to punt it I had to spin round and sprint the length of the pitch virtually to watch the ball dropping and challenge for the header. So wonder I'm walking like a crippled old man today after that work out!

Surprisingly not. But after his first kick I heard three of the green teams saying something along the lines of flipping hell (admittedly their language was slightly more colourful) as the ball sailed over their heads. I must admit I muttered something something very similar under my breathe as well!

What was worse is his drop kicks were just as long. Due to the position of the sun and moisture on the pitch it was really hard to see the lines of the penalty box, so had to get within about five yards of the box to check what was going on in case of pen shouts etc. So it meant if he collected the ball and went to punt it I had to spin round and sprint the length of the pitch virtually to watch the ball dropping and challenge for the header. So wonder I'm walking like a crippled old man today after that work out!
good for your fitness mate and look at anticipation of what is going to happen

good for your fitness mate and look at anticipation of what is going to happen

Actually the whole situation of not being able to see the line markings for the box due to weather was really useful. It meant I had to approach situations differently, and come in at different angles. So was good at keeping my mind on the go and not just on autopilot taking up my normal positions. Did mean it was mentally and physically draining. And apart from the one mega clanger I made in one of the games I have posted about on here I was pretty pleased with how it went.

If green were home team, tell them that next time they should supply extra match balls.

I can't see why having a multi-ball system with ball fetchers would cause mayhem if you were informed of it and informed both teams of it before hand

make sure any spare balls are kept on the halfway line though as I learnt in the past that the losing (home) team had people on the sidelines holding balls to get quick restarts and it caused mayhem!
What is wrong with this? It is just like on the PL when the home team supply the ball boys, I'd say it's home advantage.

At the weekend had green v orange. Orange keeper was very proactive. Out his box to sweep up balls etc and clear their lines. He also had a massive kick. Towards the end of the match they were 5-3 up. A couple of long balls were over hit and the orange keeper swept them up and the green strikers were closing him down, meaning he was putting them out for throws. He soon spotted this and was taking the ball right to the touch line and kicking it as far as possible out of play for the throw. So the greens had to go the best part of 90 yards to collect the ball. Now technically he was kicking the ball out, but was obviously doing it with a degree of force that was totally unneeded in order to waste time.

The greens were moaning. But other than stopping my watch for them to collect the ball as it had gone so far, as I always do if the ball goes onto another pitch or into bushes etc and isn't easily retrievable, was there any other action I could have taken against the keeper?

Yep, caution....C1....acting in a manner which shows a lack of respect etc etc

Back