A&H

Junior/Youth Coaches coaching whilst refereeing

Viking

This annoys me as it is a fundamental health and safety issue in that your concentration and focus can't be 100% on the refereeing of the game if you are also telling players what to do and where to go (which they shouldn't be doing anyway). The FA also says not to coach whilst reffing even in a friendly game.

What are the thoughts of others and what sanctions are there that can be taken against offending coaches?

The Referee Store
I have to say I’ve done it in the past, I’ve tried not to but couldn’t help it.

I’d never coach and tell players what do with ball but found myself giving instructions.

I coach both teams when refereeing my son's games (U9), however i agree with the OP

Last edited:
I find it slightly odd that the FA instruct the ref to 'coach' a player with a second throw in should the first be a foul throw, as we're not qualified coaches at u9-11 football. But it is ridiculous to hear a coach who is reffing to call his defence to step up to get an offside. That ref/coach is clearly going to miss the two footed tackle about to happen.

I find it slightly odd that the FA instruct the ref to 'coach' a player with a second throw in should the first be a foul throw, as we're not qualified coaches at u9-11 football. But it is ridiculous to hear a coach who is reffing to call his defence to step up to get an offside. That ref/coach is clearly going to miss the two footed tackle about to happen.
'Mini' or 'Small Sided' football is not really football however
The ability level is much more of a consideration than age with respect to coaching. I've seen bottom division U15s with no clue as to what they're doing, yet i'd show no leniency with a Red (top) division U13

It's absolutely fine until u12 level (or whatever age it is now before there is a league table etc). After that it's relative to the context of a game. Even at u12 level, a top of the table clash is still important to everyone involved so no coaching!

I must disagree with you on the small sided not being real football. It is to them, it is to the FA and it is in respect of their learning.

I managed to get my son's team doing throw ins properly within a week of me first reffing them. No other ref ever picks them up on it though so now they they do one handed long throws on the occasions I don't ref them. It's a sad state of affairs that the local 14-16 year old newly qualified refs aren't taught the laws in respect of u9-11 properly as they never give foul throws and our team now takes advantage of it.

My step son plays rugby for an u12s team. The ref is always a coach at this age and they tend to coach both teams. To be honest alot of them over coach and there's more time in the game listening to the ref/coach than actual play but they always mean well.

Rugby's odd though. You even get international refs telling players to move away and stay onside. Can you imagine football refs doing that?

Rugby's odd though. You even get international refs telling players to move away and stay onside. Can you imagine football refs doing that?

Good point. I suppose it's not a direct instruction (even though it's worded as such) it's just a warning. I've seen dissent from parents twice this year and both times the ref has just walked over, explained that he's not being paid and is more than happy to allow the dissentor to tske the whistle whilst he gets a brew and watches from the touchline. Soon shuts them up.

I can see your point but if there’s no assigned ref, isn’t this coach just doing everyone a favour? He’s still got his own job to do as well

Whilst the coach is doing a favour in respect of getting the game on, he's lessening the experience for his own players by constantly telling them what to do whilst also confusing the opposition. There's also a second coach who's also shouting from the touchline to such an extent that the players have said they don't know what to do as they are mixed messages.

Bad coaching technique aside, my health and safety point was highlighted when the ref engaged in a conversation with a concerned parent whilst the ball was in play and wasn't watching the game at all.

If you are going to be big enough to volunteer to take the whistle you should be big enough to stop coaching your team. That’s fair and is truly a service to the game and the players.

I cant believe or understand the thinking that, a pure random, can, even with permission of teams, play the role of referee at U10 football !!!

Health and Safety, No
Breach of Child Protection? must be different depending on where you are.

There was a great photo on facebook a few weeks ago of a young referee showing a girl (couldnt of been older than U10's) how to take a throw in correctly. His approach was applauded by everyone. I see no health and safety risk or child protection risk there at all. Older they go yes, it changes and you wouldnt coach things like that. But at that level then why not... dare I even suggest its not all about the good book and remind people of the spirit of the game 😯

Back