A&H

World Cup Colombia Corner

refsteve98

I am watching Colombia against Uruguay this evening I am wondering why Colombia were not allowed to take the fake corner. Player A taps ball off corner arc while pretending to swap with Player B as corner kick taker and then Player B runs towards goal with ball.

I am wondering because the ball is in play when player A kicks it and the ball moves off of the arc.

The Referee Store
For me it's unsporting behaviour for deliberately trying to deceive his opponent, no attempt was made to make it clear it was taken.

I would have cautioned for unsporting and given IDF to Uruguay. It's not something I'd like to see.

I agree with David because in this case the defensive team can't win. If the defender runs and gets the ball the attackers will claim that they haven't taken it and if the defenders don't move the attackers will claim that they have!

Is it all down to how each individual referee views it then? One referee may consider it as USB and therefore worthy of a caution but another might not be able to see a problem with it - should the players have been paying more attention?

In the instance that I watched, the AR flagged to the referee when Player B ran towards goal with the ball and the kick was re-taken

It absolutely should not be down to individual interpretation. As ASM says, it's entirely legal and in many ways the same as taking a quick free kick to catch the defense unawares. Certainly worth us being aware of the tactic as the more it's used on TV matches, the more other teams will copy ...

+1 for ASM's comment

I wish it happened more so it wasn't as much of a surprise and I remember to look out for it!

One caveat - I would not allow it if there was any verbal distraction - if a player shouted out to suggest that the 2nd player was going to take the corner (remembering that the 1st player has already taken it) - then I would stop it happening ... as per LOTG then the referee could / should caution

All for players being creative / getting on with the game :)

Completely agree with @ASM personally haven't seen it but don't see anything wrong with it. I've allowed teams to do it before and will allow them to do it if it happens in future

Back