A&H

Common Lines

Common Sayings

• 'In the Back'

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • 'Hows that theirs'

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • 'I got the ball' (despite flying in at 100mph!)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • 'How long ref'

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • 'You stopped the time ref?'

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters

Steve C

The Unfit one!
What do you you hear the most when you referee? I've compiled a little list of the most common ones i hear, (not 'REF!' because thats just far too obvious!). If you have any others then post them :) just interested to know! :)

The Referee Store
are you sure ?

didn't touch him (despite the blood flowing down his ,face ,shin,thigh etc )_

Last edited by a moderator:
are you blind referee

thanks ref thought you had a good game sure it was a penalty ??

thanks ref thought you had a good game sure it was a penalty ??

Too many times.

"How long ref?" is the most common in my games, for the record. Followed closely by "You stopped the time ref?"

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it's "in the back ref" when there's the slightest contact on any part of the body... sometimes when there's no contact at all. That's the one I hear most, anyways.

"Foul throw ref" isn't too far behind it though...

Had one this weekend, only U10's, player asks me
"What's the score ref?"
"7-6 to you"
*his team scores*
"What's the score now ref?"
"One more than it was last time you asked" :)

Gotta be "How long" for me! Never hear any of this "in the back" stuff?

I ref in South London/Surrey but did a game in Wales over the weekend.

I can say there is no geographical bias...always "How long to go Ref?".

The Welsh get the record though - I was asked after 15 minutes of the first half in a 40 minute each half game, lol.

I'd forgotten about "how long ref". I had it asked three times in quick succession by three different players (both teams). By the third one I just said, "Ask blue number 3, he knows!".

Foul throw the main one by a mile. Players seem to think if a throw "looks" unorthodox, its a foul. I've seen players throw in very strange positions... But both feet on floor and hands over head. It really grinds my gears this one....

If one player keeps on at this I like to get in an early dissent chat if they go a little far as hearing this through the whole game turns me into a rage!

In fact, we need to get S8 included. S8: shouting foul throw or in the back or just being an annoying little scrote in general!

Another recently springing up again and again is "he can't say leave it ref!!!!!".... " oh yes he can fella"

Back