A&H

Comms Kit

The Zebra

BAFRA Member #217
Over the last couple of games I've officiated in on the British American Football Senior National League - we've been using a set of comms kit.

http://www.baofengradio.co.uk/2016-bf-888s-plus-5pcs/

It's a set of the above radios that are clipped onto the belt (as we wear trousers with a belt whilst doing games) - and a headset that is piped up under the jersey - with the push to talk button on the side of the receiver.

I have to say - I was a bit cautious at first to use these - as I was thinking "It'll be another thing to worry about getting in the way" - but after the one game with them in use I'm now a massive convert.

We could relay decisions between the four of us refereeing the game - as well as information and time left back to both benches, as well as clarify anything relating to stuff happening during the game - plus giving each other advice on what to look out for (eg. "#42 is getting a bit close to the edge" etc.)

And it got me thinking - why we could never use them on all games with neutral Assistant Referees on Supply and Contrib Games. They really aided our control of the game and would be a great asset to use I feel.

I will be buying a set myself to use on future games (despite the cost - they are very good quality both in the build and the sound you get back from them) ...

The Referee Store
From what I heard the other week the FA are looking to start and use them on Conference football, you never know it might lower down to Supply and Contrib but they are quite an expensive piece of kit to buy so referees aren't likely to buy it using their own money...

They're a fraction of the price of a pair of buzzer of buzzers and far more effective, there's probably some obscure FA rule preventing you from using them.

Back