A&H

Concentration

Will Triffitt

Level 7 Referee
Yesterday I was refereeing a youth game in the league cup. It was a great game with the full time score being 5-5. For me it was a very easy game; there weren't any decisions that I struggled on (apart from when the linesman flagged and I couldn't really see it becuase he had wrapped the flag around the pole!!!) However about 20 minutes from the end I started to lose concentration. When that happened I made a few mistakes regarding fouls. Does anyone have any tips on how to keep concentration levels high for the whole game and if they do dip, how to revive them. Thanks

The Referee Store
Fluids. Focus. Fitness. Dehydration and tiredness will often be the two biggest culprits to losing concentration at the end of the game. So hydrate well before the game and at half time. And get that extra 10% fitter which will ensure your positioning in the latter stages is just as good as at the start --> better foul recognition :)

Fluids. Focus. Fitness. Dehydration and tiredness will often be the two biggest culprits to losing concentration at the end of the game. So hydrate well before the game and at half time. And get that extra 10% fitter which will ensure your positioning in the latter stages is just as good as at the start --> better foul recognition :)
Thanks!!!

If you find yourself thinking that you have an "easy" game make a mental correction by reminding yourself that it could go pear shaped at any time. This might help get your concentration back.

I think its easy to confuse losing concentration with the game getting more niggley as you get into the second half. I am always mindful about 'keeping a lid on it' as tempers get shorter.
I tend to give far more fouls in the 2nd half than the 1st to make sure that happens.

Towards end of halves get that little bit closer to the action, especially if with CARs, follow ball into the corner.

Players tend to get a little more "edgy" towards end of halves and goals and other incidents tend to happen in these last 5 mins of each half.

Both goals in my game on Sunday were right at the end of each half, 2nd one (equaliser) being a pen!

I tend to give far more fouls in the 2nd half than the 1st to make sure that happens.

I assume these are for genuine infringements rather than you just "making sure it happens"! It would be interesting to know whether, statistically, there are more fouls in the second half. My instinct says that there would be.

I assume these are for genuine infringements rather than you just "making sure it happens"! It would be interesting to know whether, statistically, there are more fouls in the second half. My instinct says that there would be.
Yes.
There are more fouls, and I am less inclined to 'let the game flow' if I feel the game needs to be kept on a 'tight rein'.

A keeper, in my close 13-1 at the weekend, got everyone's concentration back by dropping the shorts and giving all a good airing, while pretending to be Mr Muscle.

I think its easy to confuse losing concentration with the game getting more niggley as you get into the second half. I am always mindful about 'keeping a lid on it' as tempers get shorter.
Does anyone have any tips then on how to pick up niggley fouls. Also, when do you penalise?

Even in the quietest, most boring of games, I work on the assumption that something is about to happen.

This was the case in my U15 game on Saturday. 70 minutes of nothing then BANG, disputed goal to make it 1-3 and two subsequent cautions for dissent! By expecting it to happen, you're less likely to miss something because you've lost concentration.

If a player is at a disadvatage due to contact (or no contact on some occasions) made by an opposing player, that's usually a give-away @Will Triffitt

You may see a movement that you wouldn'd expect to see at that time and in that situation (a player randomly thrusting forward, hips leading), usually a good tell-tale of a knee/shove in the lower back, he will almost certainly have a reaction and a thing or two to say aswell.

Niggling fouls are quite hard to determine/explain on text, but when they happen, you usually know about it.

Back