A&H

Controversial goal - injured keeper

I would have stopped play. I understand players that we are to stop play for a serious injury and also that players will go down when they have misplayed something or are out of position at times in an effort to bail themselves out which I am not inclined to oblige. This is not the case. This ball carried well away and there was no benefit to faking injury. Absolutely no harm in stopping play for a drop ball near midfield. If a GK is not getting up in this kind of scenario, i'd have to assume that they have a legitimate injury of some sort.

There is a strange over reliance on the fairplay/kick it out thing. Stop play and drop it if you have to. When was the last time ANYONE saw a drop ball in a high level game?

The Referee Store
By signaling throw in it tells me she thought it was all not a big deal and she was going to get to the injured player.
You're the second person who's said that but I don't see the signal she makes as looking anything like a referee signalling for a throw-in. The body language is all wrong - she's facing and moving in the wrong direction. For me, it looks like she's trying to indicate 'play on' by using a signal similar to the one-handed advantage signal. Which would also be wrong, as there wasn't a foul or a legitimate advantage to be called but to me it fits better with the way she's signalling - and seems easier to understand than calling a throw-in when you're 20 yards away from the touch line and you have an AR right there whose job it is to signal when the ball goes out of play.

You're the second person who's said that but I don't see the signal she makes as looking anything like a referee signalling for a throw-in. The body language is all wrong - she's facing and moving in the wrong direction. For me, it looks like she's trying to indicate 'play on' by using a signal similar to the one-handed advantage signal. Which would also be wrong, as there wasn't a foul or a legitimate advantage to be called but to me it fits better with the way she's signalling - and seems easier to understand than calling a throw-in when you're 20 yards away from the touch line and you have an AR right there whose job it is to signal when the ball goes out of play.

Well I can see what you’re seeing. The more I watch it the more annoyed I am with the referee. I showed this clip to my wife, Daughter (12) and son (10) all big football fans. Without any promoting their first reaction was “why did the player not kick it out”

When was the last time ANYONE saw a drop ball in a high level game?

Yesterday? Manchester United vs Fulham (or was it last week vs Arsenal).

But... I hate seeing drop balls at high levels because they ignore the LOTG and the referee clearly dictates what happens at them. For example, in the United match he specifically points that ball is to be played back to United.

If I do that, I'm getting ticked off for it!

But... I hate seeing drop balls at high levels because they ignore the LOTG and the referee clearly dictates what happens at them. For example, in the United match he specifically points that ball is to be played back to United.

Saw it happen 3 times QPR v Hull last week - obviously all my neighbours in the stand wondered why I was getting so worked up about it!:mad:;)

You won't get ticked off for suggesting something or asking a question, only if you manufacture it. Even then, most observers would support dropping the ball for the keeper if he had it in hands when play was stopped - that's manufacturing the outcome but is still generally accepted.

In the United match he has probably asked if the opponents will be kicking it back, or they have already told him they will be, and he then points.

If the gk is in poor position from their own doing, fine, or up for a corner and cant get back, fine

In the OP, I'd be stopping play for the injury to the GK .. probably giving a defensive FK to do so. You might get a few grumbles but after the game, no one would remember it.

However the quote above got me thinking ... what about if a GK came up for a corner and then eg pulled a hamstring running back to goal? That, for me, would feel like a situation of the GK's making (by wanting to be an 'outfield' player) and I'd be ok for the opposition to take advantage ....

Your team consists of x players, one of which must be the goalkeeper. What we need to consider, at the point of her being grounded/injured is, do the team have a gk here? Clearly they do have a gk but are you comfortable they actually do have a gk when she is wide, 35 yards from goal and on the ground injured?
You make an interesting point which I think is backed up by the LOTG when it says:
"Exceptions to the requirement to leave the field of play [after an injury] are only when:
•a goalkeeper is injured..."
However, it is easy to stop play in this situation, but what if the ball fell to an attacker just outside the penalty area, are we stopping then? What about 30 yards out? Etc.

You make an interesting point which I think is backed up by the LOTG when it says:
"Exceptions to the requirement to leave the field of play [after an injury] are only when:
•a goalkeeper is injured..."
However, it is easy to stop play in this situation, but what if the ball fell to an attacker just outside the penalty area, are we stopping then? What about 30 yards out? Etc.

Just for me, a drop shot in the box, goal
Anything else, do the other team have a gk?

In the OP, I'd be stopping play for the injury to the GK .. probably giving a defensive FK to do so. You might get a few grumbles but after the game, no one would remember it.

However the quote above got me thinking ... what about if a GK came up for a corner and then eg pulled a hamstring running back to goal? That, for me, would feel like a situation of the GK's making (by wanting to be an 'outfield' player) and I'd be ok for the opposition to take advantage ....

Agree. And thats where your judgement as referee comes in

I think in the refs defence here the keeper looks like she will originally get up and it doesn't look like a bad injury, its only 2-3 seconds later when its clear she is injured and then the referee has probably thought i cant stop it now.

Baffles me why not one of the defenders ran back to protect the goal.

Great shout PP, sadly that keeper (Jamal Blackman) went on to play for Dirty Leeds this season and is sadly currently out with a broken leg, I think they did hold up play for that one though!!! :(

Back