A&H

Copenhagen vs Man City

Degnann

As incompetent as the last ref
Level 4 Referee
This thread was always going to be made with the way the first 33 minutes have went.

3 VAR decisions.

1. Goal ruled out for handball against non scoring player
2. Penalty to City for handball in box
3. Red card to City for DOGSO.

1. Incorrect for me.
2 and 3. Im okay with.

Biggest point for me is the length of time it appears for the POR officials to be doing their checks. For point 2 and 3 the referee has stopped mid game to check both points.

Nobody tag big cat in this thread

The Referee Store
I hate how football is reffed at a microscopic level with var. 2 decisions no one wanted or would have cared about.

1 is just plainly wrong. It's not intentional and doesn't lead directly to a goal.

2 is probably justifiable but don't like to see it given.

3 is a clear red, should be giving that live

Foooooking hate var

The first one is just plain wrong. Mahrez's arm was out initially, but he pulled it away and by the time the ball hit him if was very close to his side. No one was looking for anything here, VAR getting involved has just completely surprised everyone, no way on earth was there a clear and obvious error by the referee. The fact that Diaz spent an age looking at it says that he really, really didn't want to give it.

For the second one I'm still not sure, it definitely hit the defender's arm but it looked to be very high. Also I would argue his arm was in a perfectly understandable position for the movement he was making. Possible penalty, but again nothing anywhere near a clear and obvious error.

The third one was correct, but even that was a mess. It looks like they weren't interested when it was viewed to be outside of the penalty area, then there's an afterthought around it being DOGSO. Some are blaming Diaz for not seeing it real time, but there's absolutely no chance he could have seen the pull on the arm as he was directly behind. Even with this one though he took a long time looking at the screen when it was an absolutely nailed on DOGSO. He then does the VAR signal and does the signal that referees would do for a penalty after a review, I actually think he was going to give a penalty and then someone has got in his ear.

All very, very messy. Luckily in a game that doesn't really have anything riding on it, but imagine if that happened in something like a semi-final.

The first one is just plain wrong. Mahrez's arm was out initially, but he pulled it away and by the time the ball hit him if was very close to his side. No one was looking for anything here, VAR getting involved has just completely surprised everyone, no way on earth was there a clear and obvious error by the referee. The fact that Diaz spent an age looking at it says that he really, really didn't want to give it.

For the second one I'm still not sure, it definitely hit the defender's arm but it looked to be very high. Also I would argue his arm was in a perfectly understandable position for the movement he was making. Possible penalty, but again nothing anywhere near a clear and obvious error.

The third one was correct, but even that was a mess. It looks like they weren't interested when it was viewed to be outside of the penalty area, then there's an afterthought around it being DOGSO. Some are blaming Diaz for not seeing it real time, but there's absolutely no chance he could have seen the pull on the arm as he was directly behind. Even with this one though he took a long time looking at the screen when it was an absolutely nailed on DOGSO. He then does the VAR signal and does the signal that referees would do for a penalty after a review, I actually think he was going to give a penalty and then someone has got in his ear.

All very, very messy. Luckily in a game that doesn't really have anything riding on it, but imagine if that happened in something like a semi-final.
Thats all pretty much what the pundits said at ht as well

I don't think there's a single stakeholder in the game that wants either of those 2 handball penalised.

For me both "handballs" were a joke, it's times like this I really would love to know what the ref and VAR are saying here as he took an absolute age whilst at the screen. Clear and obvious errors they were not!

So will the referee and VAR be disciplined for getting the law badly wrong on the disallowed goal?
If the UEFA Referees’ Committee decide they are wrong decisions then yes. They work to different standards than England and so it’s impossible to say what they will actually decide, we’ll only know for certain by his future appointments or if they put the decisions in their Refereeing Assistance Program. So if they decide on the decisions being wrong we’ll be unlikely to see Artur Dias and VAR in the rest of the group stage and likely the knockouts as well because of multiple mistakes.

It does always seem to happen to City in Europe though. Opponents scoring under rules about to be changed, or VAR didn't get the right angle etc etc, but disallowing a goal based on the law two seasons ago is a first.

So will the referee and VAR be disciplined for getting the law badly wrong on the disallowed goal?
No. If the observer feels the decisions are wrong, and he will watch them back multiple times, if will affect their marks and they won't be getting above 7.9.

Referees aren't "disciplined" at any level for getting decisions wrong, rather they get marked down.

No. If the observer feels the decisions are wrong, and he will watch them back multiple times, if will affect their marks and they won't be getting above 7.9.

Referees aren't "disciplined" at any level for getting decisions wrong, rather they get marked down.
I'd think that not getting a game the week after a bad performance might be called being disciplined. (Do elite refs really get "marks"?)

(Do elite refs really get "marks"?)
I can only speak to MLS. They get evaluated every single game. A missed call they fix with VAR counts less against them then an ordinary missed call. (I’m not sure if they get an extra ding if they have the opportunity to fix by VAR and stick with the call.) so they get a ”mark” every game.

I'd think that not getting a game the week after a bad performance might be called being disciplined. (Do elite refs really get "marks"?)
It is more being dropped than disciplined, just like a player. If a player has a shocker and is left out the following week, no one says he has been disciplined, they say he has been dropped.

Yes, all referees, even at the elite level, get a mark for every game.

Back