A&H

Corner Kick Positioning (with CARs)

Matthew

RefChat Addict
Had an incident in my U16 match at the weekend which got me thinking about positioning. To give some background, for corners I usually stand inside the box on the corner(ish) opposite the taker; it means that I can see enough of the line to judge whether the ball has gone out (only ever have CARs and they're almost never in line) and have a pretty good view of what's happening inside the box. I'm quick so don't have any issues with fast breaks and as a general rule it works for me as a position, but at the weekend it let me down.

Late on in the game, the home side took a quick corner and the player that had been passed to dribbled past the defender, who went to challenge but was a split second late and cleaned the attacker out. Because of my position on the corner (although I'd moved towards the play as the corner was taken) I was looking straight on at the challenge from 20ish yards away so could see (and unfortunately hear) that it was a foul and that it was outside the box, but I was in no kind of position to judge the force, point of impact or severity. The spectators were screaming for a red, both players were down injured, so I used that as an opportunity to buy myself some thinking time. The fouled player was asking for a yellow (which doesn't generally happen if a player has been on the end of a bad one) as was the home coach, so based on that and on the limited view that I had, I went with the caution. Although it was clearly a high impact challenge I think it was the right decision, but had it been a really bad one I'd have been in no position to give a red without guessing and would (rightly) be ripped apart by an assessor for my positioning.

Where do others position themselves for corners with CARs? Appreciate we can't see everything, and fortunately this is the first time it's caused me a real issue, but any tips would be greatly appreciated.

The Referee Store
Where do others position themselves for corners with CARs? Appreciate we can't see everything, and fortunately this is the first time it's caused me a real issue, but any tips would be greatly appreciated.

one thing multiple assessors have said to me about this is keep changing and keep on the move. In my early days I had a habit with lining up with the back post outside the box which I felt was the best vantage point, however assessors have told me to keep changing and keep on the move. Don’t choose a spot and forever stick with it. If you miss something then so be it, you’ve got to try and keep an eye on about 16 people pushing and shoving each other so you can’t see everything

Had an incident in my U16 match at the weekend which got me thinking about positioning. To give some background, for corners I usually stand inside the box on the corner(ish) opposite the taker; it means that I can see enough of the line to judge whether the ball has gone out (only ever have CARs and they're almost never in line) and have a pretty good view of what's happening inside the box. I'm quick so don't have any issues with fast breaks and as a general rule it works for me as a position, but at the weekend it let me down.

Late on in the game, the home side took a quick corner and the player that had been passed to dribbled past the defender, who went to challenge but was a split second late and cleaned the attacker out. Because of my position on the corner (although I'd moved towards the play as the corner was taken) I was looking straight on at the challenge from 20ish yards away so could see (and unfortunately hear) that it was a foul and that it was outside the box, but I was in no kind of position to judge the force, point of impact or severity. The spectators were screaming for a red, both players were down injured, so I used that as an opportunity to buy myself some thinking time. The fouled player was asking for a yellow (which doesn't generally happen if a player has been on the end of a bad one) as was the home coach, so based on that and on the limited view that I had, I went with the caution. Although it was clearly a high impact challenge I think it was the right decision, but had it been a really bad one I'd have been in no position to give a red without guessing and would (rightly) be ripped apart by an assessor for my positioning.

My initial spot is always just inside the box on the side the corner is being take from. Right by the corner of the box. If I face the near post I get a good view of the corner taker and the players in the middle and can easily move based on the kind of corner taken to get a view of either the goal line or the short corner takers.

A couple of thoughts which will hopefully help . . .
If your CAR is not in the correct position, delay the kick until they move to it. Tell them before the game and remind politely but publicly if necessary.
The positions you take up should be based on being able to see the goalkeeper and players near to the goalkeeper, being able to see whether a goal is scored, and should be varied (players check your position before deciding how to act)

You want as clear a view of the drop zone as possible
If that means short near post, then move
Even if the kicks are routine and hitting the pen spot, bit of variation does no harm, lets players know you are flexible and helps cut out any silly off the balls because the guy knows you are away back post

And don’t watch the ball in the air.
Watch the players.
And yes, don’t stand still.

(and if you find yourself stooping or craning for a view then that’s a big sign you should be moving)

A couple of thoughts which will hopefully help . . .
If your CAR is not in the correct position, delay the kick until they move to it. Tell them before the game and remind politely but publicly if necessary.
The positions you take up should be based on being able to see the goalkeeper and players near to the goalkeeper, being able to see whether a goal is scored, and should be varied (players check your position before deciding how to act)
In an ideal world the CARs would be in line, but even when asked in my pre-match/reminded at HT/during the game etc very few actually get into position. I'll take whatever help I can get most of the time, which is throw ins and not much more.

View attachment 5421

Corner at the top, I assume you'll be at the X?
Yes, that's right (clearly better IT skills than me haha). I'll normally start towards the touchline to see that the ball is correctly placed and move towards the edge of the box before the corner is taken. I do vary my position, but generally on that side of the area.

Yes, that's right

Appreciate that I may be in the minority here, but that's where I'm taught to stand for corners without NAR's. KMI is ball in/out, goal/no goal, and that position gives you the perfect view.

The problem is short corners, there's two choices;

1. Sweep around the outside of the box the moment it looks like a corner is being played short and loop round to the near side. Some maverick referees will go around behind the goal if there is space. But never go through the middle unless you want to head the ball.

2. Stay where you are for the incoming cross.

Option 2 is really only an option if the short corner's been taken before the opposition is alert to it and therefore have no hope of closing them down.

We are generally advised not to take up a position at the near post, or near side box, as you're having to turn between incidents and it puts you in the way of the corner. Anything more central and you give up the more serious KMI of goal/no goal.

So, really it just comes down to anticipating the passage of play, if you can spy someone zooming/creeping in for the short corner, that's your cue to shift out and around if you expect them to be closed down.

Sorry that's not really much help I guess, it's just a downside of taking up that position really.

Appreciate that I may be in the minority here, but that's where I'm taught to stand for corners without NAR's. KMI is ball in/out, goal/no goal, and that position gives you the perfect view.
I suspect you may indeed be in the minority. As a rough guess (based on my experience) you may have to make such KMI decisions once every hundred games or so. However prob four or five times in a hundered games you'd have to make a decision down the other end for pen/no pen or DOGSO after a counter attack. If I have to sacrifice something, I'd go with percentages.

Last edited:
I’m not nuts about that. With no ARs at grassroots there is a massive benefit to being in a position where the players can see you.

In feistier games, while the corner taker is retrieving, I typically move a bit nearer the near post so the problem players can see me, perhaps some eye contact, then back in position.

Being behind the players with no ARs makes me very uncomfortable TBH. Not a fan.

One thing my coach tauight me was to look at what foot the kicker was taking with. If it would be an inswinger there's a good chance it would be going near post with someone looking to get a flick on, whereas for an outswinger it is likely to be deeper for players to attack from deep. That's why even with NARs I sometimes stand on his side of the D for inswingers from the right wing and it always served me well.

That said, this was for step 3 and 4 football, perhaps not quite as obvious as to where a grass roots corner is going as the taker probably doesn't have much of a clue himself.

I suspect you may indeed be in the minority. As a rough guess (based on my experience) you may have to make such KMI decisions once every hundred games or so. However prob four or five times in a hundered games you'd have to make a decision down the other end for pen/no pen or DOGSO after a counter attack. If I have to sacrifice something, I'd go with percentages.

Tbh, the 'break aways' that I've seen commented on here, have been so rare, I think the fear is a bit overblown.

Tbh, the 'break aways' that I've seen commented on here, have been so rare, I think the fear is a bit overblown.

Think you posted about this before and of course if it works, great

another way to think of it tho is, do we stand on the far post goal line in open play when the balls towards the corner?
No, we be edge 18, looking at the crosser, making sure he aint been caught late, we make sure his cross does not go out of play, we look at the drop zone, fouls on gk, plus we are ready for that rare breakdown.

we dont stand backpost goaline when the balls out in the corner in open play yet hopefully, we dont miss that ball over goal line from the header....

Yeah in the other topic when it came up.

But as I said then, that's where I'm told to go by observers and that's the position we're taught to take up, so I can't exactly ignore that.

I generally hover around this area for most corners (remaining adaptable depending on player behaviour of course).

This is based on observer comments and the teachings from CORE. I believe the logic is that you always have your AR in view (I currently work primarily with CAR) and once the ball is in flight you can follow the arrow to adjust positioning if needed.

It’s always served me well and gives me a god view of most incidents. Working on percentages, I find far more of my decisions relate to fouls rather than tight goal line decisions (none in my 3 years of refereeing).

Attachments

• E8E57843-74A0-49F3-BE4D-0A9CE0D7DD95.jpeg
    E8E57843-74A0-49F3-BE4D-0A9CE0D7DD95.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 13

another way to think of it tho is, do we stand on the far post goal line in open play when the balls towards the corner?
No, we be edge 18, looking at the crosser, making sure he aint been caught late, we make sure his cross does not go out of play, we look at the drop zone, fouls on gk, plus we are ready for that rare breakdown.

we dont stand backpost goaline when the balls out in the corner in open play yet hopefully, we dont miss that ball over goal line from the header....
Whilst I agree with the general point, I think there‘s an element of needing to be wider than in general open play. In my games I’m also trying to judge the offside if a corner goes short, which is almost impossible from that near side position. No ideal solution of course, but it’s another consideration.

Thanks to everyone for the great advice as always. I have some academy games over the next few weeks, so a good opportunity to try out some new positions!

I generally hover around this area for most corners (remaining adaptable depending on player behaviour of course).

This is based on observer comments and the teachings from CORE. I believe the logic is that you always have your AR in view (I currently work primarily with CAR) and once the ball is in flight you can follow the arrow to adjust positioning if needed.

It’s always served me well and gives me a god view of most incidents. Working on percentages, I find far more of my decisions relate to fouls rather than tight goal line decisions (none in my 3 years of refereeing).
I dont have legitimate assistants at grassroots so I only ask the flag holders to do throw ins for me,not corners. I tend to stand on the side of the pitch that the corner is being taken around the corner of the area looking across. The players I ref are barely able to cross it,never mind curling it out and back in again.

Back