A&H

Open Age Could I have sent him off?

Jordan Lockwood

Level 6 Referee
Just a thought about an incident in my game today...

Late in the game, yellow attacking down the touchline. Attacker being tracked down by blue player, but cross into box is made before a challenge is put in. Player who made the cross falls over in the process.

As play is now in the centre of the field, that is where I'm watching - but all of a sudden I hear loads of shouting from where the cross came in. I turn around and the player who made the cross and the player who was tracking him are having a confrontation.

The yellow manager is furious, shouting at me, "That's the most disgusting thing I've ever seen. He just stamped all over his back." The blue player who was supposed to have commited the act has now started to retreat as far away from me as possible and his captain said to me, "You can't do anything if you didn't see anything."

Now there is absolutely zero doubt in my mind that the incident occurred, but at the time I spoke to the yellow manager and said "I'm almost certain that it happened, but as I didn't see it I cannot act on it".

The thought came after, that the yellow manager was actually acting as Club Assistant - so could I in fact have sent the blue player off, based on his account of the incident?

The Referee Store
Absolutely not.

Must never use CAR's to tell you if there's a card offence (they shouldn't be giving you fouls, but that's for another time!)

Simply - if you don't see it, you cannot give it!

Yeh I thought so.

Was just one of them annoying incidents where he waits 'til I look away and then makes a nasty stamp. Then has a smug look for the rest of the game!

Riles me up!

As Dan says. Unfortunately that is the nature of the beast. You can only punish what you see. You cannot rely on CARs. Was there enough there for a caution for aggressive behaviour that you did see? I suspect both players were just as aggressive by the time you turned around.

Sounds like there wasn't much else you could do - you certainly can't rely on CARs for misconducts, and if you don;t see it, you can't give it.

You don't know if the attacker kicked out at defender while on the ground, which was retaliated with a stamp, or what???

Possibly, a yellow each for aggressive behaviour if they were squaring up, with a very stern word 'I'll be watching you both very carefully' - the cards perhaps might have helped take the smug look off the guy's face - but you can only deal with what you see.

Bloody difficult without neutrals on the line isn't it?

As others have said, there's no way you could've sent him off. Unfortunately, we can't see everything and without neutral assistants, it's so difficult! Like MattyontheWhistle says, maybe a yellow for adopting an aggressive attitude would've take the smug look of his face!

I had something similar in a league game last season, my attention is drawn to 2 players squaring up, 1 white 1 Asian, the Asian player is incensed that the white guy called him a racist word and made reference to he's beard an being a terrorist. As I didn't hear what was said I couldn't act on it and after a stern talking too to both players the white guy walked away smug. Karma was administered later on when he got a red card for serious foul play

What you CAN do, however (not that I advise this), is fail to see the next time someone absolutely clatters that bloke with a hard tackle. "I didn't see that either boys, but I promise I'll see the next one!" I think they'll understand ;)

Back