A&H

Darren Deadman and Billy Sharp

colindotcom

I think there will be some refs here who disagree with me for saying this but .....

Dont know if any of you caught this from last night but Billy Sharp from Donny Rovers scored a goal last night just days after he lost his 2 day old son and his celebration was to lift up his shirt to revael a top which said "thats for you son" Now I understand the reasons for cautioning a player for excessive celebrations but all praise must go to Darren Deadman who did not caution Billy for this extremely emotional moment and I hope he didnt get grief of his assessor post match.

The Referee Store
Darren did football and Billy a great service. A caution is correct in law, yes. But it is not correct in the situation, Billy's a brave man to come out and play two days after such a traumatic event so fair play to him, but Darren did the correct thing. If the assessor cannot understand that then they need to check their morals out.

I think there will be some refs here who disagree with me for saying this but .....

Dont know if any of you caught this from last night but Billy Sharp from Donny Rovers scored a goal last night just days after he lost his 2 day old son and his celebration was to lift up his shirt to revael a top which said "thats for you son" Now I understand the reasons for cautioning a player for excessive celebrations but all praise must go to Darren Deadman who did not caution Billy for this extremely emotional moment and I hope he didnt get grief of his assessor post match.
common sense and football won last night...........................

I fear that the backlash of not giving the card would have been quite bad - whilst I think it goes without saying that everyone is sorry for his loss and applaud him for playing in his current circumstances it was still his choice to remove his top - I can see why some wouldn't want a card, but the law is clear. Perhaps a comment in a post match interview would have been better?

I'll be honest.. I think the referee would start receiving death threats etc if he cautioned him for that.. Its happened before to professional referees, it'll happen again.

To not caution was the lesser of 2 evils. Very much a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Edit:3000th post! :)

Back