A&H

Dele Penalty Red

MKAhmad

Level 6 Referee
So I’m at the Spurs v Watford game at stadium MK where Watford has a man sent off after pulling down dele alli I’m the penalty area. I thought the new laws said this is only a yellow now, as a penalty is deemed a big enough punishment. Perhaps the ref though a genuine attempt for the ball wasn’t made but I thought it was.

The Referee Store
If it was pulling, it would still be a red. By definition, a pull is not a tackle, and therefore can never be a "genuine attempt for the ball". The red is only downgraded to a yellow, per se, if the tackle is a genuine attempt for the ball.

He didn't pull him down. He tried to take the ball and caught Alli's legs. He might even have got a slight touch on the ball but it was certainly a genuine attempt to play it - if he didn't actually get it, he was a whisker away.

He didn't pull him down. He tried to take the ball and caught Alli's legs. He might even have got a slight touch on the ball but it was certainly a genuine attempt to play it - if he didn't actually get it, he was a whisker away.
Where is @Big Cat when we need an opinion!!!

In real time, I thought it was going to be a yellow. Looking at the replays I see the defender with an arm on Alli's shoulder and clipping Alli's trailing heel. The defender's leg moves in such a way that it ends up going behind both of Alli's legs, so I understand why it might not necessarily come across as a genuine attempt to get the ball. Although I think I can see why the ref has gone with a red card here, I wouldn't have been surprised if he had given it as a yellow either.

I see the word 'genuine' being used multiple times here. Do we realise the word was removed from the law after the initial release?

My reasoning would be to give the benefit of doubt to attacker.

All the instruction I've heard I'd the benefit of the doubt goes to the defender. If in doubt then go yellow.
That's what I should have said, leaving genuine out benefits the defender as he was the one making the tackle.

Back