A&H

Determining Time Added On (additional time)

SydTheAussieRef

Level 4 Ref (youth). Just starting out.
Hi team.
How do you decide how much time to add on? I've got a fandangled ref watch that I can pause for well, anything I want. The LOTG is very specific (injuries, subs) and then isn't (any other cause).
I'll be reffing with interchange. So when would you 'stop your watch'. Mine counts down and up at the same time.
A ceremonial FK? The ball goes miles away requiring collection?
Thoughts?

The Referee Store
You're not actually meant to "stop" your watch as I understand it. That's for rugby matches. That's why in football we refer to it as "time added on".
Personally, I tend to look at my watch whenever something "unnecessarily" time-consuming occurs. This can be anything from dallying at restarts, ball retrieval, constant substituting and of course play stopped for injuries/discipline. Twenty seconds here, thirty seconds there - once I tot it all up, I find that during the course of most matches I'm adding on at least another 3 - 4 minutes for playing time which has (IMO) been lost unnecessarily. :)

After a while it comes natural, I annoy Mrs PP by guessing minutes to be added to each half of a live match either on TV or in person.

Not showing off, but I'm correct most of the time - think most of us who have been doing it a while would be the same.

I used to stop my watch but found most people thought I was 'adding' too much time on.

The watch stopping technique works fine up until the point when you forget to restart it after the delay/interruption has passed. :eek:
Happened to me once. I was able to cuff it though since like a good referee, I had two watches on. ;)
Now I simply just look at my stopwatch and decide whether to add half a minute or a minute (or more) to the 45 mins allowed. (I can't be doing with one of those "countdown" stop watches). :)

I never actually stop the watch unless there is a really bad injury. I do, however, publicly pretend to stop it if a team is wasting time when it is gamesmanship-not quite-enough-for-the caution type time wasting. that's more for my amusement than anything else, especially at the end of the game if there is a complaint over time added on "because I kept stopping the watch!" :)

May have helped prevent a caution or 2, who knows.

The watch stopping technique works fine up until the point when you forget to restart it after the delay/interruption has passed. :eek:
Happened to me once. I was able to cuff it though since like a good referee, I had two watches on. ;)
Now I simply just look at my stopwatch and decide whether to add half a minute or a minute (or more) to the 45 mins allowed. (I can't be doing with one of those "countdown" stop watches). :)
i doubt if there is a referee who hasnt stopped the watch and forgot to restart it lol, thats one reason why it is plain stupidity just using one watch

Thanks. Exactly what I after. So the interpretations thingy at the back of the LOTG helped too.
My watch counts up and down. When I stop it. The count down stops. (That is the amount of time left in the match so I don't need to do maths) the count up doesn't stop. There for acting exactly like a TV score display thingy. (Also helpful for knowing what minute incidents occur).
The watch vibrates (not beeps) every 5 seconds when stopped and at the start and end of each half and added time

I generally don't stop it for interchange - the players don't want 10min added on to each half. I may start considering it if I feel like one team is abusing interchange to run down the clock. I tend to practice selective deafness in the final minute, though I'm more used to matches with interchange also having the instruction of 'no time added on'.

Bloody amazing the stuff players want the clock stopping for when they're losing.
Every GK, throw in and foul needs 10 secs added on!

I once managed a 61 minute half (excessive adding on rather than watch malfunction) - hope to beat this record one day :)

1 minute in the first half and 3 minutes in the second is ideally what I mostly stick too :)
1 and 2 are the starting points for me typically. Simply based on experience, that second half stoppages tend to be longer than first half. Substitutions, fatigue etc all hit in the second period.

I will usually factor in the score at the time of 90 minutes, do the players actually want added time? If it's a one sided game/score, let them get off to the pub!!

I generally don't stop it for interchange - the players don't want 10min added on to each half. I may start considering it if I feel like one team is abusing interchange to run down the clock. I tend to practice selective deafness in the final minute, though I'm more used to matches with interchange also having the instruction of 'no time added on'.
i take it interchange is australian for substititions

interchange is what you call rolling subs.
We call rolling subs the sort where play doesn't need to be stopped (usually, small-sided tournaments)

Back