A&H

Open Age Difficult game to referee today

p4yno

Level 5 Referee
I refereed a senior open age double header, to say it was an easy game to referee is an understatement.

First game, it was clear one side were going to argue every decision and scream foul throw every time their opponent took a throw in. I had management arguing every decision also. Away player after not getting a free kick in his opinion, looked at me and said '*****' so he was cautioned straight away. I sensed very strongly, they were 'trying to intimidate / influence' my decisions. They didn't. Game ended 0-0.

I go off the field to get a quick drink, cue club linesman swearing at me, also manager. I tell both to calm down and walk away. Cue a spectator, approaching with a view to questioning my decisions. Gets in my personal space and calls me a f'ing mug. I tell him, please walk away from me now.

Second game, same as the first. It's a shame as both sides had good ability, home side played fair, not away. Lots of niggling fouls and / or mouthing off between players, ended up cautioning 3 away players for late unneeded fouls, 2 home players (one of which was for a last minute winner from a defender which made him run to corner flag and remove his shirt) funnily his response was to the caution, "it was well worth it" it finished 0-1.

The home side seemed sympathetic towards me after the game, after what sort of game it was and what sort of side the away side were in terms of their conduct.

Already logged cautions using new Whole Game System. Due to how I felt at full time after the first game with the swearing, attempted intimidation and the spectator getting into my personal space using foul & abusive language I feel I need to report for misconduct to my County FA.

When game finished, I felt relieved it was over due to the conduct of one side, which is wrong of me as I love refereeing.

The Referee Store
Put it behind you, it's their issue not yours. Some players and teams are just like that. They are a pain in the neck when they are winning, and then it gets 100 times worse when they are in a tight game.

It was one of those games where a referee could say 'is this worth it' and walk away as it's not worse the abuse.

Fully agree with @jordan clarkson next week you might be doing a higher league game, or a cup game, they'll still be playing at the same level, whining about every single decision that goes against them.

Fortunately, for every game like this, you'll get plenty that are no bother.

Or, a far more enjoyable match at a lower level where players are genuinely appreciative to have a referee / just want to play / have an afternoon away from the wife, etc.

As was said at my match today, "if we were both perfect, neither of us would be here today".

Back