A&H

Discuss

Mick.

RefChat Addict
Do you ever get those days when you wonder why you bother turning up? I suppose we all get the really.

Blues v Yellows - youth (higher age) League Cup game.

First half, yellow attacker running into the box and just as he reaches it passes to his left. As he does so a blue player runs straight towards him. The two are in a direct line with me, in that I am looking at yellow's back and blue runs straight at him. As the ball is passed, I quickly glance to the player about to receive it and see that the other two have run into each other. As far as I can see, if anything, blue has run into yellow as yellow was already heading towards the goal. Blue player drops like a stone holding his stomach. I haven't seen anything other than the two coming together. Yellow receiving player shoots and scores. I award a goal. Cue most of blue team (minus one who is still on the floor) demanding a foul. According to them the yellow player lifted his foot and caught blue in the stomach. He may well have done and, as blue is still on the floor and obviously in pain (he didn't return for a good ten minutes), he probably did. But I didn't see it and told blue this. I repeated that if I didn't see it, I certainly wasn't going to give it. Match control may have gone a little at this point as blue clearly weren't happy.
About two minutes from the end of the first half, caution for blue who shoulder charged a player in the air. No attempt to jump for the ball just a straight old shoulder charge. No real issues with that player, but the blue captain, only about 8-10 metres away decides to say "Eat **** Ref". He is called over and smirking says, "what you going to do, book me as well?" The smile was wiped from his face as he walked for OFFINABUS.
Second half, ball is kicked by blue across the front of the goal and the goalie chases it. No blue players particularly near but goalie dives on. He does so just outside the box. Whistle for handball. Cue shouts from the sidelines for a card. I ignore them and blue fail to convert their chance. A bit later another handball by another yellow player who diverts the ball slightly with his upper arm. I am satisfied that he has tried to do it with his shoulder but mis-timed it. However, it is deliberate so the foul is given.
With about 1 minute to go the blue manager starts having a go about there being two teams on the pitch. The FK has not been taken so I blow my whistle and go and have a word. I ask him if by his comment about there being two teams he is suggesting that I am cheating. Needless to say, he quickly denies any such suggestion. He does go on to say that he is merely after consistency and questioned how the handball did not result in a card. I told him that as far as I was aware there is nothing in the LOTG that says handball must be carded.
I have looked and handball comes under USB which states that a card must be handed out for handball where (I paraphrase) it is used to score a goal (not the case here) or where it is used to divert the ball away from an opponent or to prevent a promising attack. Had the goalie not used his hands he could have used his feet. The nearest blue player was about 5 metres away with no other blues nearby. In the second scenario the ball was not really diverted away from a player. Is the USB side of it another "in the opinion of the referee" jobs? In my view when the goalie made his handball there was no "promising attack" and in the second it wasn't really done to divert the ball away from player. It's not like the ball was being passed by blue and he stuck his hand out to prevent such a pass. Do we always card handballs? Should we?

The Referee Store
your right that certain hand balls are cautions others are not.

The goal keeper one is an odd one, one that perhaps you have to be there. Has he committed a foul that has denied a promising attack or goal scoring opportunity (regardless of the fact that he could just have kicked it)?

But has he (delibertlaterly) pounced on it when it was out of box or has he handled it in the box but has it then left the box

I would have thought the Goalkeeper made a deliberate attempt to handle the ball, and therefore should have been a yellow. In the one with the player, the wording of the Law is 'a deliberate movement of the arm to the ball' , which, if he was ducking or bending in an attempt to 'shoulder' the ball, then there has been a deliberate movement of the arm and could be an easy sell for a yellow.

I had two, in consecutive games, involving the goalkeeper outside the box, and both were surprisingly similar.

In the first, ball comes over the top, attacker gets it first, GK comes rushing out of the area and stops, in the 'ready' position. Attacker shoots, it hits the GK elbow who didn't move, and goes wide. I give the free kick.

Second one, same thing happens, GK comes out, attacker shoots and 'keeper instinctively sticks out a hand and pushes it away. DFK and yellow card.

Back