A&H

Junior/Youth Dissalowed goal

Chrisp72

Always smiling
Hi Guys
Turned up for my sons U15 game Wednesday an away game the home team organised a referee but didn't show they didn't want to ref so asked if I minded doing it said no problem I am a new ref could do with the experience .
10 mins to go 3-1 down opponents through on goal keeper brings him down awards a penalty and shows a red card reds take penalty two reds enter the area as he strikes the ball keeper saves red tucks rebound in disallow goal award a indirect free kick to blue spectator shouts how the hell can he be offside from a penalty home team in fits of giggles he now plays to them shouts " your a cheat ref a disgrace " home team manager sees no reason to calm parent down I then go over to coach who eventually gets him to leave the field as he is leaving for the second week running threats of seeing me in the car park !
How can I deal with situations like these should i have gone over and explained my decision to the parents? I did explain to the captain but he was also adamant it should have been a re take so got an earful off him as well

The Referee Store
Hi Guys
Turned up for my sons U15 game Wednesday an away game the home team organised a referee but didn't show they didn't want to ref so asked if I minded doing it said no problem I am a new ref could do with the experience .
10 mins to go 3-1 down opponents through on goal keeper brings him down awards a penalty and shows a red card reds take penalty two reds enter the area as he strikes the ball keeper saves red tucks rebound in disallow goal award a indirect free kick to blue spectator shouts how the hell can he be offside from a penalty home team in fits of giggles he now plays to them shouts " your a cheat ref a disgrace " home team manager sees no reason to calm parent down I then go over to coach who eventually gets him to leave the field as he is leaving for the second week running threats of seeing me in the car park !
How can I deal with situations like these should i have gone over and explained my decision to the parents? I did explain to the captain but he was also adamant it should have been a re take so got an earful off him as well

From what you describe (I think, it was a bit heavy), it should have been a retake.

IDFK only applies in this situation for kicking ball twice without opponent or another player touching it first.

Encroachment from attackers is a retake if they score the original.

The penalty was not scored by the taker keeper saves rebound goes in ? Is this still a retake then ?

The penalty was not scored by the taker keeper saves rebound goes in ? Is this still a retake then ?

If you're penalising for encroachment from the eventual scorer, a retake is the correct course of action.

Is that the offence you penalised for?

player goes to take penalty just before he strikes it a team mate enters the box taker has penalty saved player that encroached scores rebound

Regardless of the error in law (I doubt anyone watching knew this anyway) the correct stance for me would be to stop play, send the parent away and restart once he's gone.

I'm more concerned regards the re take rule now ? Surely if the original penalty is missed even though rebound is scored why should they be rewarded with a re take the defending team did not make any offence ordering a re take for a missed penalty it's surely penalising the defending team ?

As the law is written the referee allows the kick to be taken, if the ball enters the goal it is retaken, if not it's an IDFK to the defending team.

So for me, the IDFK was the right decision. The ball didn't enter the goal from the penalty kick, it was saved and then subsequently put into the goal.....

Page 47 for those inclined to look.

Firstly well done on getting the decision right.

Regardless of the age of the players, the referee has no obligation to explain his decisions (especially during the game) to spectators. However I am more than happy to have a reasoned chat with the manager and parents after the game, maybe even over a pint, but I certainly not interested in getting into a debate during the game!

The only disgrace in this situation is parent in question, not only did they show a complete lack of respect for you, the players and the game in general, they also showed they are completely clueless with regard to the laws of the game.

RegalRef and Hertz are incorrect here. The LOTG talk about if the ball went in the goal or not. This is from the initial kick, not the follow-up.
The LOTG state that if a teammate of the kicker encroaches and the ball does not enter the goal, it's an IFK. So well done, you made the correct decision. Penalty kick retake laws are confusing!!

team-mate of the player taking the kick infringes the Laws of the Game:

• the referee allows the kick to be taken
• if the ball enters the goal, the kick is retaken
• if the ball does not enter the goal, the referee stops play and the match is
restarted with an indirect free kick to the defending team from the place
where the infringement occurred

Unfortunately the stupidity you have to deal with sometimes in frustrating. We've all got similar stories to yourself. You'll learn to ignore it in time.
Sometimes you can consider what you can do to ensure it's clear what your decisions are for. If you blew the whistle and immediately raised your arm for an IFK then this could have increased the confusion (as this is typically what happens at offside). A quick blow of the whistle (personally I may have gone for the quick 'toot-toot'...kind of works for something a bit unusual like this), "both of you encroached, free kick to red" If they say it's supposed to be a retake, you can mention 'only if it goes in' (the law did change on this a few years ago - you can even state that it used to be different!).
I wouldn't bother with more than that, especially in a group like this. Sometimes, the best thing you can do is get yourself out of the mass of players and move up the field in position for the free kick.
If you do, try to run wide so you can keep players in your peripheral vision - you don't want a fight starting behind your back.

As you said the captain kept complaining - these decisions, you need to ensure you're conveying absolute certainty in your body language. If he's going to keep complaining after you've made the decision and stated why (you don't have to offer an explanation but often a very brief one can be helpful), then you may need to start considering it dissent. Call him over (neutral location - walk across - not towards - to meet him), remind him that the decision has been made and if he continues to argue he'll be in the book. If he persists, caution him. You have no choice. If he keeps arguing the point then not only is he continuing to undermine your authority, but the other players will pick up on it and you'll lose control of the match - and U/15 players can be a handful. A firm hand is often a big help at this age!!

As for the parent - the home team manager has the responsibility to deal with the parents. If he refuses, then advise that you will abandon the match if he does not fulfil his obligation to manage the spectators - and be prepared to back this up.

Having said that, if anybody does threaten you (as this parent did), abandon the match immediately. Have you submitted an incident report for this?
Quite disgusting conduct but you did the right thing in removing him.
Don't worry about the parents - if you're younger than they are, they're not going to believe you if you try to tell them that they're opinion of the law is wrong. And if you tell them it was encroachment they'll just abuse you for that instead.

Hi
First of all it cannot be a retake as a goal was not scored from the original kick. It could only be a retake if the first kick was a direct score. Now let me pose this question. If the PK was scored directly would you have pulled it back for the retake for encroachment ?
On the second part the threat is wholly unacceptable and that needs to be report as serious misconduct by the club / team. No need for names etc just report it.
Now under no circumstance engage with parents or spectators. In fact I would probably make little effort to explain it to anyone other than saying an IDFK for encroachment if asked. Most times the whingers do not want to know or to listen to why the decision was made. Move back to half way and wait for the restart.

Back