A&H

Dissapointed

Cheshire Ref

RefChat Addict
This weekend I was assessed for 6-5 promotion. 92nd minute after I have given a throw in player clearly shouts "You f****ng cheating b*****d" I am guessing you know the rest, called the player over told him he was being dismissed for OFIANBUS and showed him the red card etc etc. My assessor then asks me to explain it after the game which I did and was told by him that he was surprised to see the red card come out because a) It was so late in the game and b) I couldn't be sure whether he was shouting at me or my CAR. I stood my ground here and told him that irrelevant which one he was shouting at it was OFINABUS and I would send him off 10 times out of 10 if I heard it again.

Am I missing something here????

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Assessors, hey! - I guess brian or lincs can give you some insight as to whether the assessor was following any guidelines here...tho', from what you've written, it does sound odd.

Problem I think, at 7-6 and, I'm guessing, at 6-5 is that there is no appeal process and it would be difficult to know what kind of reception you would get if you wrote what you've written here in an email to the head assessor person. Would they take it into account in some way or would they close ranks. Who knows?

Hopefully you still got the qualifying mark but surely you need to clarify it for future reference....you've said you'd send of every time but, if being assessed, 93rd minute, and it happens again, will you begin to doubt what action you should take

I think you're 2 out of 2.

93rd minute or 3rd minute.

Me or the CAR/NAR

Any combination of the above - you're getting sent for a walk.

Theres one word I detest and thats 'Cheat'.

I cautioned a player on Saturday for sarcastically clapping my decision against him. They all couldn't believe it. I reveled in explaining the rule of the game to them.

Sending him off was 100% the right call - I wouldn't care less if he was talking to me, a CAR, his own player, his own grandmother... And so on. :)

From my point of view, if you hadn't sent him off then you would have been marked down.

I cannot think of any reason why an assessor would what he said....
We need to try and eliminate this sort of language from the game and you were prefectly correct to dismiss. The words used are so far over what could be acceptable.

It will be interesting to see what they put in your assessment.

From my point of view, if you hadn't sent him off then you would have been marked down.

I cannot think of any reason why an assessor would what he said....
We need to try and eliminate this sort of language from the game and you were prefectly correct to dismiss. The words used are so far over what could be acceptable.

It will be interesting to see what they put in your assessment.
Fully in agreement with Lincs.
Once you've got the assessment, please post it here (with the appropriate bits taken out) and it will be interesting to see what's said

Depends what level your assessor is to be fair! I worked as security at a Ryman League club last season and season before, they have 3 middles and 4-5 lines, can't begin to tell you how many times I heard players call them "c**ts", cheats, *******s, etc etc and the ref just say "calm down fella".

Depends what level your assessor is to be fair! I worked as security at a Ryman League club last season and season before, they have 3 middles and 4-5 lines, can't begin to tell you how many times I heard players call them "c**ts", cheats, *******s, etc etc and the ref just say "calm down fella".
It is irrelevant what level the assessor usually works at.

This is 6-5 promotion in local football, that is the criteria used.

Yes a L3 may get away without a red in a contrib match, but would still dismiss in local football.

Not knowing anything about the promotion process. But maybe he was asking for an explanation just to see exactly how /why you made that decision and how you were applying the laws?

I am sure he was @DaveMac an assesor will often double check cautions just to make sure his report doesnt state that you cautioned for dissent in the 40th minute but it was actually for a foul tackle. That doesnt explain his comments though does it? Honestly been thinking about this ever since and its really done my head in!!

@Cheshire Ref maybe he was surprised a player decided to say that so late in the game. He might have just been trying to see how sure in your decision making you are? Playing a double bluff expecting you to say you'd made a mistake.

Still for me the c bomb is getting a red all day long no matter when in the match and whether it's directed at me or the assistant.

Well if he is playing a double bluff card then i should be looking at a good mark!! Anything over 90 and ill be happy.......hmmmm :confused::confused::confused:

It is irrelevant what level the assessor usually works at.

This is 6-5 promotion in local football, that is the criteria used.

Yes a L3 may get away without a red in a contrib match, but would still dismiss in local football.
This very statement epitomises what is wrong in football today !!!!

It should make no difference what level the game is !

Be Stringent at the top and it will filter down to local and youth football

Until this happens ,kids will continue to think its ok to mouth back at referees and" Respect" will never truly work.

This very statement epitomises what is wrong in football today !!!!

It should make no difference what level the game is !

Be Stringent at the top and it will filter down to local and youth football

Until this happens ,kids will continue to think its ok to mouth back at referees and" Respect" will never truly work.

Correct.
Graham poll was in the papers many years back for dismissing an Everton player for calling him a cheat in a premiership game. No one knew this was a rule and so papers sensationalised it but in truth Polly did us a service by doing what he did.
If only more did this. Players like shrekooney wouldn't play more than 5 games a season if refs dismissed for S6 more often. The things the camera pick the bloke up saying are vile

Back