A&H

Dissent from a Manager

HertsFinest

Next Weeks Ref
Game on Saturday was a bit of a mare. Dull affair with idiots occupying one team.

Had 7 cautions in all. All in the second half.

One of them was for their manager who happened to be a named sub (lovely jubbly) who was whining all game. Few minutes into the second half after a tackle (some would say foul some wouldn't, one of them) that I let continue with advantage the manager screams comments "really ref, REF REF, how is that not s foul!? REF REF, you don't know what you're doing"

I give him a stern talking to at this point (didn't even cross my mind that he is a sub as he certainly didn't look like a player)

5 minutes later their CAR flags an offside. I have wide angle, almost in line and can see 100% that it isn't offside. Therefore I overrule assistant and play on. Ball gets shot against post and out for GK.

Cue the manager screaming. "Why are you bothering with ****ing assistants then ref? Sort it out"

I then approach him and ask for name intending to report if he does any more. To my surprise he is a named Sub. Out comes the yellow for Dissent and back to the pitch I trot.

Cue 3 of the players laughing saying "he's booked him for dissent, how is that dissent. The ref doesn't even know what dissent is! What a joke"

He of course went into the book too.

Now either I'm missing the point and was completely wrong to book for dissent, or are players really this clueless?

Nightmare game all in all. Roll on next week

The Referee Store
Sounds good to me, used the staged approach on the manager / substitute. Dependant on what the '****ing' was, possible reason to whip out the red card, but in the context I would have gone with a caution like you did.

In respect of the other players, they don't have a clue. You have overruled a flag, for very good reason and the reason the caution was pulled out was due to the decision to overrule therefore 'Why are you bothering with ****ing assistants then ref' is dissent!

Its a shame you didnt realise he was a sub, as possibly could have been sent off for two cautions both for dissent!

Got to love player managers. They are in my experience the biggest pains ever. For som reason they think it gives them carte blanche to do whatever they want.

Players in the main are totally clueless and we waste so much time and energy either educating them or allowing ourselves to be wound up by their stupidity/understanding of the LOTG. I communicate less and less with players now during the match as they clearly are spoiling for an argument, i.e. they disagree with my decision and I am only allowing myself to be drawn into a heated discussion which will distract me from the match.
Saturdays team definitely deserved 7+ cautions for dissent but I stopped myself allowing to be wound up and left it at stern words and Collina stares.

I really want to steal your email signature message - I really like that.

“Referees belong to a sporting profession closely akin to that of a piano accompanist to great singers. Do the job perfectly and everyone applauds the singer. Strike just one wrong note and everyone, from the singer outwards, scowls and accuses you of ruining the performance.”

Back