A&H

Dissent/Verbal Offences with Ball in Play

Big Cat

RefChat Addict
Level 4 Referee
Why do we never see this in the Professional Game?
Are referees deaf when faced with the prospect of the resultant IDFK?

The Referee Store
I had a case of this last week. 2nd half haf got tense. Couple of rash tackles and YCs. Then a dissent card and big warning. Then a nothing challenge on half way, ball is by the touchline, GK screams at me to ”wake up”.

I demonstrated my level of awkeness with a sharp blow, YC and IDFK just outside the 6 yd box. Surprisingly no more dissent in that game!

I had a case of this last week. 2nd half haf got tense. Couple of rash tackles and YCs. Then a dissent card and big warning. Then a nothing challenge on half way, ball is by the touchline, GK screams at me to ”wake up”.

I demonstrated my level of awkeness with a sharp blow, YC and IDFK just outside the 6 yd box. Surprisingly no more dissent in that game!
As a fairly new ref, I react to the verbals without thinking about where they were projected from and the location of the consequential IDFK. But it's obvious this is very rare on TV. Indeed the players can be surprised by the re=start because they've never seen it on TV, yet it's a very common occurrence

Most refs seem to wait until the next stoppage to caution anyway! Create our own problems by not using all the tools to punish dissent.

As a fairly new ref, I react to the verbals without thinking about where they were projected from and the location of the consequential IDFK. But it's obvious this is very rare on TV. Indeed the players can be surprised by the re=start because they've never seen it on TV, yet it's a very common occurrence
Xhaka yesterday, blatant eff off at the ref as he collected the ball. Happens far too much on telly IMHO

And because the players get away with in the Premier League the kids at grassroots think they can get away with it.

Not on my pitch. 2 youth games at 11aside 3C2s although in retrospect one C2 should have been a cherry. Forgive me Padfoot for I have sinned..........
I do not know why I didn't bin him as I have used red for that comment before integrity questioned. Just had a brain fart.

Trouble is, once a game is stopped for verbals (including 'lack of respect for the game' (youth in particular)), the caution seems mandatory. If it doesn't warrant a yellow, have a word during the next stoppage (or if you're PGMOL, pretend that's when the offence happened and avoid the IDFK). I'm learning...

Yes, if you stop play, it has to be a caution. Similar to flagging off the ball as an AR, it has to be for a caution or worse

Does it? Hypothetical scenario - ball in penalty area is cleared by defending team, as players are exiting PA, you as assistant see a defender push the striker, who goes over in the PA. Ref is now halfway up the pitch following the ball.

You flag for a penalty, but does it follow that the defender automatically gets a YC, if it’s the kind of push that wouldn’t warrant one anywhere else on the pitch?

Does it? Hypothetical scenario - ball in penalty area is cleared by defending team, as players are exiting PA, you as assistant see a defender push the striker, who goes over in the PA. Ref is now halfway up the pitch following the ball.

You flag for a penalty, but does it follow that the defender automatically gets a YC, if it’s the kind of push that wouldn’t warrant one anywhere else on the pitch?
If the push was off the ball, enough to earn a flag and a PK then a YC seems highly likely.

This is an interesting area though... our tolerance for reckless nosedives when it's off the ball, nowhere near play, and behind the ref's back:

"Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for..."

The laws give us plenty of scope for interpretation. You don't have to YC... but what is expected, what is smart?

Back