A&H

Diving

refdave83

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
My game today. Thankfully no major incidents.

Right in front of the away bench. There player goes in for a tackle misses the player but he goes down and I could have given him SEVEN for that dive. I said no and gave hand signals for a dive. The away team had the ball in there half and continued with the ball. The away bench were going mad as I did caution him. One of the players also had a moan. I explained I have managed it and if he done it again I would caution him. He accepted this.

Player didn't dive again. even though I didn't have a word.

Right or wrong in law?

The Referee Store
I would have thought if you were certain enough that it was a dive to indicate this with a hand signal, then you were certain enough to issue a caution. Personally I think diving is a blight on the game, and as referees I don't think we help ourselves if we are lenient on it when we know it has happened.

Law? Wrong. Match practice? Correct. HOWEVER, if you give the dive hand signal, you should have cautioned him. My advice would be to just shout no and get then get on with it. Have a quiet word with the player telling him you thought he'd dived and if he does it again, he's getting cautioned!

You set yourself up for it by doing the hand signal. Should have booked him. If you hadn't, then you could easily have just carried on.

Just out of interest what is the dive hand signal? Is it two hands together pushing forward as if you are about to do an old fashioned dive?

Personally I'd of gave him a YC. So if another player dives later on you and you book him you will be consistent.

Back