A&H

DOGSO Handball Overturned

JH

RefChat Addict

Referee decides on DOGSO for the handball as it stopped the ball reaching an attacker through on goal however after learning the player would have been offside, offside is given. For me, you cannot give this as an offside as the player has not interfered with play? I would be going for handball and no sanction as it would not have stopped an OGSO or a promising attack due to the player being offside, but it is still an offence, how can you just ignore the handball and give an offside with no interference?

The Referee Store
The hand ball offence must be dealt with first as it happens first so the player is not offside as he has not become active, because the ball has not reached him. If it had been stopped by the chest the player would not be offside. So DFK. Is a red right in this situation? I don't know if the player is in an offside position there wouldn't be an ogso so no red but could you yellow for SPA? Or is just an attacking FK with no caution? I am lookinf for advice on this as I am only sure about the restart, I think. Bottom hurting from fence sitting!

DFK + yellow card.; clearly unsporting even if doesn't meet the criteria for SPA on a technicality.

Aren't theY mic'd up? How does it get to the stage of the red being shown?

Reactions: one
The YC for be attempting to DOGSO. It's unsporting Not too dissimilar to YC for a handball on the line which end up a goal. Nothing is denied but the act is unsporting in that context.

Again a messy process. Flag should have been up early. As it is, it looks like the ref is asking the AR for an offside so a player didn't have to sent off.

Ref has dropped the ball on this one. The PIOP never got involved, so the DHB is first.
The YC for be attempting to DOGSO. It's unsporting Not too dissimilar to YC for a handball on the line which end up a goal. Nothing is denied but the act is unsporting in that context.

Again a messy process. Flag should have been up early. As it is, it looks like the ref is asking the AR for an offside so a player didn't have to sent off.

No, there's absolutely no case for a YC here - there's no attack happening.

Ref has dropped the ball on this one. The PIOP never got involved, so the DHB is first.

No, there's absolutely no case for a YC here - there's no attack happening.
A shot is heading for goal. A field player dives to save with his hand. The ball rebounds off the hand and goes in. Do you cautions? If yes what for? Apply the same concept to OP.

It's not uncommon to see officials make a mess of uncommon scenarios. In my experience, it's easy to drop a clanger when fatigued and distracted
DFK for the HB and USB caution to the defender seems to fit best

Why would I apply the same concept here when it's completely different?
You may see it completely different. I see two scenarios *similar in many ways. A player unsportingly and blatantly trying to stop the opponents a chance at goal in his mind. In neither case he succeeds. (Yes the reasons are different). It's his behaviour/act which is unsporting regardless of if he would have stopped a goal or not.

*edit

Last edited:
In the DOGSO case, he COULD have succeeded.
In this case, he could NEVER have succeeded.

A fairer comparison would be if a defender dives and handles a ball that's going into his own goal directly from his team's DFK. The handling gained no benefit whatsoever - in fact, it hurt the team. LOTG don't justify a card.

Free kick and YC card for me. Simply 'shows a lack of respect for the game'

Reactions: one
In the DOGSO case, he COULD have succeeded.
In this case, he could NEVER have succeeded.

A fairer comparison would be if a defender dives and handles a ball that's going into his own goal directly from his team's DFK. The handling gained no benefit whatsoever - in fact, it hurt the team. LOTG don't justify a card.
It's what he intends to do that makes this unsporting. Whether he could have succeeded or not is not something he knew at the time and is not the point (even if it is expressed in capital letters :) ). I think we may have to agree to disagree on what constitutes unsporting in certain circumstances such as the OP.

Pretty standard here. The referee has seen the handball and determined it was DOGSO. The AR has told him that the only player who would have had an OGSO was offside, so it can't be a DOGSO any more as the flag would have gone up had the handball not occurred,

Last edited:
Pretty standard here. The referee has seen the handball and determined it was DOGSO. The AR has told him that the only player who would have had an OGSO was offside, so it can't be a DOGSO any more as the flag would have gone up had the handball not occurred,
Yes, that is standard. But to then restart from the offside is incorrect in law.

Back