A&H

Dogso or not from a high ball

SM

The avuncular one
Two big shouts and appeals for dogso (which I don't like from players, shows a lack of class, but there you go) on Saturday.

The first one is a typical Suarez style incident. Atracker in the area stretches and knocks the ball passed the defender who instinctively sticks out a hand and touches the ball. No argument, penalty. I figure the ball is hit with no control by the attacker and it will either roll to the keeper or out of play. No DOGSO or caution, penalty is scored. Some appeals for dogso, but more hopeful than demanding.

Second one; very high ball forward, defender about 5 yards from his penalty area jumps, misjudges and handles. Silly handball but instinctive. The attacker behind him is claiming Dogso - he has 2 fast defenders running over to cover and that ball is going to bounce and I am not sure where it is going. Certainly do not believe the player has the skill levels or pace to have an obvious goal scoring opportunity before the other defenders get to him.

Now i just give the freekick. Certainly didn't think dogso. Perhaps should have cautioned him for a tactical handball, but does that just further inflame the demands for dogso? The defending team were leading by a solitary goal in the last ten minutes of the game which added further fuel to their dogso demands!

I know this is difficult to comment on without seeing it.

The Referee Store
Second one; very high ball forward, defender about 5 yards from his penalty area jumps, misjudges and handles. Silly handball but instinctive. The attacker behind him is claiming Dogso - he has 2 fast defenders running over to cover and that ball is going to bounce and I am not sure where it is going. Certainly do not believe the player has the skill levels or pace to have an obvious goal scoring opportunity before the other defenders get to him.

Now i just give the freekick. Certainly didn't think dogso. Perhaps should have cautioned him for a tactical handball, but does that just further inflame the demands for dogso? The defending team were leading by a solitary goal in the last ten minutes of the game which added further fuel to their dogso demands!

I know this is difficult to comment on without seeing it.

In the second of your instances, i think a caution does not inflame the position. The defender "cheated" (for a better word) and caution was the right decision. You can explain away a DOGSO-H as you have just here, as it is "in the opinion of the referee" - Lack of playing skill should be a big factor in your opinion in deciding a DOGSO.

I'd be more inclined to caution for the first incident for unsporting myself.

But definitely another have to be there scenario!

Without seeing I agree with herts that the first one sounds like the caution and peno. 2nd sounds the same. Caution freekick. The way you have described it... No ogso so no DOGSO.

But like you say difficult without seeing it. A lot of players demand that every handball is a yellow... Which we all know not to be true, but on these occasions these are almost unsporting behaviour handballs... If that makes sense...

A yellow card won't inflame the demands for DOGSO, so that shouldn't be a consideration.

By your description it sounds like you made the right decision on DOGSO though, from your reasoning. DOGSO can occur when a foul prevents the attacker from receiving the ball, but only if you're confident he'd have an OGSO when he does. You weren't, so no DOGSO.

Thanks guys.

Should have gone with the quick card caution to end requests for a red, then pulled him over and slowed it down a little (just enough to get his name etc but not enough to wind up the chasing team further).

Next time.

Thanks guys.

Should have gone with the quick card caution to end requests for a red, then pulled him over and slowed it down a little (just enough to get his name etc but not enough to wind up the chasing team further).

Next time.

Didn't you hear? There won't be a next time. They've reported you for ruining the game and being the worst ref going. Same as me :D and most others I believe!

Reactions: SM
Back