A&H

Double jump

I know one lad to do it and he got his L5 from L7 but only because he has a certain FL ref to help him, all it needs if you are young is the help and guidance along with your league ref secretary to have faith in giving you the middles.

The Referee Store
Clearly my RDO thinks I'm good enough to do it or I wouldn't be doing a double jump from 7-5. I think I will spend a year at 5 before 5-4 but I will be seeking advice of others before making that decision.

Im awaiting my assessment report and once received it will be posted on here for ideas of a potential mark

Brian,

When you say work hard - what do you mean? What activity should a new level 4 do to adapt to Supply level?
Listen to the assessors, read their reports, watch senior referees, referee games which aren't assessed (such as Sunday League games ... to practice in readiness for assessed games) and complete self analysis after every game. Be more professional, consider how every action (on and off the field) could be perceived and always strive to make some small improvement in every single game. This might include making just one more lung busting run in each half, pushing out and around play just one more time than their legs want to and strengthen their signals.

I realised after posting the post above I left it a little unfinished ... so here's some clarification. Anyone who does this for every game increases their chances of performing better and setting themselves apart from everyone else. They will increase their assessment marks and their club marks. They will get a reputation for being reliable.
  • do train to be fit enough to referee
  • do close dates well in advance (minimum of 8 weeks if possible, as birthday/anniversary/wedding invitation dates never change)
  • do make yourself available as often as possible and try not to turn down any invitation to referee/assist
  • do treat every game with respect
  • do acknowledge appointments promptly
  • do submit any reports promptly, especially disciplinary reports but also any league reports required
  • do use spell check when sending e-mails to everyone
  • do always wear clean kit for every game
  • do make sure you are wearing the right boots for the surface you are refereeing on (concrete, very hard, hard, soft, very soft, porridge)
  • do clean your boots before every game
  • do prepare your kit bag at least the night before a game and check it as soon as you get up
  • do arrive in plenty of time for your game, which means planning your journey and any pick up times with sufficient spare time to cover any issues
  • do carry important phone numbers in case of issues, such as home team sec, appointments sec, league sec and your coach/mentor
  • do be seen to carry out your pre-match duties to an appropriate standard
  • do brief your team properly, using notes if needed
  • do warm up properly
  • do take control of your game
  • do read the assessors handbook and referee to that book (and the Laws of the Game)
  • do deal with breaches of Law 4
  • do ensure substitutes are controlled and take place at the correct place
  • do be seen to be dealing with players using swear words (note deal with, that doesn't mean send every one of them from the field)
  • do drink enough water each day to stay properly hydrated
  • do seek advice from senior, more experienced colleagues
  • do seek advice from your RDO
  • do seek advice from assessors
  • do attend your local RA meetings
  • do train as an assessor
  • do train as a tutor
  • don't fail to take a mandatory disciplinary action, e.g. delaying restart
  • don't let your game control you
  • don't accept dissent
  • don't think playing a lot of advantage will make everyone like you
  • don't leave your sense of humour in the changing room
  • don't post on Facebook, Twitter, blogs or forums celebrating how many players you sent off/cautioned
  • don't post anywhere using information which will allow your games to be identified
  • don't referee while injured, you may do damage which has a negative impact over a longer term
  • don't drink alcohol on the day before your games as it can cause you to be dehydrated which leads to a higher incidence of injury
I'm sure there's plenty of other things you should and shouldn't do, but that will do for now.

I realised after posting the post above I left it a little unfinished ... so here's some clarification. Anyone who does this for every game increases their chances of performing better and setting themselves apart from everyone else. They will increase their assessment marks and their club marks. They will get a reputation for being reliable.
  • do train to be fit enough to referee
  • do close dates well in advance (minimum of 8 weeks if possible, as birthday/anniversary/wedding invitation dates never change)
  • do make yourself available as often as possible and try not to turn down any invitation to referee/assist
  • do treat every game with respect
  • do acknowledge appointments promptly
  • do submit any reports promptly, especially disciplinary reports but also any league reports required
  • do use spell check when sending e-mails to everyone
  • do always wear clean kit for every game
  • do make sure you are wearing the right boots for the surface you are refereeing on (concrete, very hard, hard, soft, very soft, porridge)
  • do clean your boots before every game
  • do prepare your kit bag at least the night before a game and check it as soon as you get up
  • do arrive in plenty of time for your game, which means planning your journey and any pick up times with sufficient spare time to cover any issues
  • do carry important phone numbers in case of issues, such as home team sec, appointments sec, league sec and your coach/mentor
  • do be seen to carry out your pre-match duties to an appropriate standard
  • do brief your team properly, using notes if needed
  • do warm up properly
  • do take control of your game
  • do read the assessors handbook and referee to that book (and the Laws of the Game)
  • do deal with breaches of Law 4
  • do ensure substitutes are controlled and take place at the correct place
  • do be seen to be dealing with players using swear words (note deal with, that doesn't mean send every one of them from the field)
  • do drink enough water each day to stay properly hydrated
  • do seek advice from senior, more experienced colleagues
  • do seek advice from your RDO
  • do seek advice from assessors
  • do attend your local RA meetings
  • do train as an assessor
  • do train as a tutor
  • don't fail to take a mandatory disciplinary action, e.g. delaying restart
  • don't let your game control you
  • don't accept dissent
  • don't think playing a lot of advantage will make everyone like you
  • don't leave your sense of humour in the changing room
  • don't post on Facebook, Twitter, blogs or forums celebrating how many players you sent off/cautioned
  • don't post anywhere using information which will allow your games to be identified
  • don't referee while injured, you may do damage which has a negative impact over a longer term
  • don't drink alcohol on the day before your games as it can cause you to be dehydrated which leads to a higher incidence of injury
I'm sure there's plenty of other things you should and shouldn't do, but that will do for now.

How long did that take? ;)
I think most if not all of that applies to every game for every referee so some great advice their Brian. I am sure i will need to refer to it again at some point!

Last edited:
How long did that take? ;)
I think most if not all of that applies to every game for every referee so some great advice their Brian. I am sure i will need to refer to it again to at some point!
It took 15 seasons to learn ;) , 5 minutes to type and then about 2 minutes re-arranging into a reasonable order.

The point is if you do all of these EVERY time for your season/games, you will progress. If you let any of them slip in the wrong circumstances, it can wreck the hard work put into the other 99% of your season. Reliability, consistency and integrity should be your watchwords for a successful season.

I've just been told that I've been promoted to Level 5 from Level 7 in Scotland and have been placed in a league to aid in my development. So happy.

Reactions: SM
Wish West Wales would promote me from 4B to 3B (7-5) but probably isn't going to happen, just me dreaming of my perfect scenario when promotion results are released :D

Lol don't worry mate you will get to welsh prem if you keep going as you're going.

2 refs from pembrokeshire got grade 2 promotions this season so will be eligible for prem line next season.

Both are great refs. Still waiting to hear if I get my 3b, but how can they turn down the most promising ref in pembrokeshire* :D lol

I heard about one - TB. I've heard on the grapevine that there's a few WPL boys retiring end of next season and Mr Gifford is after southern guys to replace a few of them, me and you Ben I reckon :p. There's too many local refs winding me up about me being on welsh prem before I know it (one even said end of next season! :eek: Obviously not going happen but still) I'm just a bit suspicious how I'm getting top draw local premier games that you officially have to be a 3B to ref and how too many people seem to know what appears info that only WWFA officials would know... I'll get 4A(Eng 6) I'd imagine this season for defo and 3B(Eng 5) next season and then above and beyond hopefully! Just have to wait and see now, latest I heard there's a meeting to discuss promotions on May 23rd.

You're going to get a little stick from the older guys, you're young and getting some positive attention from the powers that be. Don't let it bother you, just keep doing what you're doing, eyes and ears open, learn from every experience and let things run their course. What will be, will be.

Back