A&H

Drop Ball Ceremony

I interpret that as, the whistle after injury is so THEY can resume playing, whereas with a drop ball WE are already restarting the game by the dropping of the ball thus negating the need for whistle.

That has always been my interpretation too. There is absolutely nothing that we do that says play is restarted that is clearer than giving the players the ball. Make sure they are paying attention obviously and that any carnage has been cleared from the pitch, but why on earth do the players next to you need to hear your whistle to know you will are ready to give them the ball back?
I'll eat humble pie if the IFAB and DE say it's the other way.

The Referee Store
Post the exact wording of the question please.
Is it needed to restart from a throw-in when an injured player has been treated when the ball is out of play?
Is it needed to restart from a drop ball when a substitution has been made?

Dont worry, there will still be someone willing to post "yes it is", or "I will keep doing it anyway"

Well, I don't think the language of the guidance is susceptible to that interpretation, but its not the first time the Laws are less than crystalline in what is intended. For me, though, I'm happy to have a reason to stop telling players "watch your ears, I'm going to blow my whistle because I'm supposed to" and then blowing it as softly as I can. And I agree that it is the more logical practice is to only use the whistle on these DB restarts in those cases it's necessary to make clear that it's time to restart. (It would be nice if they tweaked the language to be clear about this.)

Well, I don't think the language of the guidance is susceptible to that interpretation, but its not the first time the Laws are less than crystalline in what is intended. For me, though, I'm happy to have a reason to stop telling players "watch your ears, I'm going to blow my whistle because I'm supposed to" and then blowing it as softly as I can. And I agree that it is the more logical practice is to only use the whistle on these DB restarts in those cases it's necessary to make clear that it's time to restart. (It would be nice if they tweaked the language to be clear about this.)

Half the folk posting seem to have found it clear enough for long enough
Maybe the other half have the issue, not the laws themselves

Half the folk posting seem to have found it clear enough for long enough
Maybe the other half have the issue, not the laws themselves

Yawn. Like all too many things in the Laws, practice often trumps the language. And that's fine. I do wish they would get a better editor to get away from the poor writing that permeates the magic book. (Some things got better in the recent great re-write, but not enough.)

Back