A&H

Dutch Referee Blog - Week 15 Laws of the Game Quiz 2019-2020

The Referee Store
Yeah - where's the citation for #5... there's no downgrade in the quoted passage...

Great Qs by the way - especially for us that haven't started with the new laws yet!

If memory serves that was an IFAB clarification, probably in an FAQ, which I believe was based on the idea that as you only allow the quick restart if there is clear goal scoring opportunity from the restart, so a PA was not actually prevented. Presumably that would make its way into the magic book next year.

Geography isn't it. So the USA are on a yearly schedule rather than an 'academic' season.

Here in the US, our professional league (MLS) stayed with the old laws because their season started before the magic date. (They are done now, but it was a bit odd for the players who played in international games as they went back and forth.) But most others had seasons that started afterwards so that the US is using the new laws. (Except, I believe, for some odd hold outs, like the rec league my brother coaches in that just decided to use the old laws for reasons no one articulated.)

Wow. I didn't realize there was anyone still using the old laws.
Our season runs from April to October so started before the big day.

There are a few winter matches. I was lucky enough to flag a friendly with two of the top U17 teams in the country a few weeks ago and that was the first and only time I’ve had the new laws in a game. Of course, it was the first time for my ref he switched off and blew for a retake at the first GK that didn’t leave the box. We fixed it with a few smiles;) Friendlies are for us too!

Meanwhile Q5...!

Back