A&H

early xmas gift.

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
I gave a very senior (70+) referee a free Sonik Blast whistle a few weeks ago as i had 4 in my draw. I really love this whistle and have done for a few years now.

He said he wished he had this whistle MANY years ago. He's used the same whistle for 30 years (acme thunderer i think).

He said he cannot believe the noise level it has and he has had to reduce his blow to make it work to his liking. He's used it for 4 weeks now.

He's very old school and detached from the referee fraternity (does not use computers or go to referee events).

Nice to do something good for somebody.

The Referee Store
Nice story. (Though I am one of the people who doesn’t like that whistle. I went through a phase of trying lots of whistles, and rotate to amuse myself, but that one doesn’t make the rotation. It is interesting to me how we all find different whistles easier or harder to talk with—though pretty much any of the modern whistles are a big step up from the old metal pea whistles I started with eons ago.)

Nice story. (Though I am one of the people who doesn’t like that whistle. I went through a phase of trying lots of whistles, and rotate to amuse myself, but that one doesn’t make the rotation. It is interesting to me how we all find different whistles easier or harder to talk with—though pretty much any of the modern whistles are a big step up from the old metal pea whistles I started with eons ago.)
I hate the Sonik Blast. It is very difficult to moderate the tone with it, and is just too loud for grass roots football. I once got asked by an observer after the game whether I was using the whistle to referee the game or stop a train, and from that point on I never used it again. Still in my box of tricks, but can't see me ever using it again.

It was designed for use in very noisy environments, so I'm struggling to see any use case for it at grass roots.

I hate the Sonik Blast. It is very difficult to moderate the tone with it, and is just too loud for grass roots football. I once got asked by an observer after the game whether I was using the whistle to referee the game or stop a train, and from that point on I never used it again. Still in my box of tricks, but can't see me ever using it again.

It was designed for use in very noisy environments, so I'm struggling to see any use case for it at grass roots.
Agreed, a stadium whistle for grassroots football is not good.

i find it easy to control the power and tone and players never say i didnt hear the whistle referee.

The ref i gave it to also likes it.

i find it easy to control the power and tone and players never say i didnt hear the whistle referee.

The ref i gave it to also likes it.
Of course no one says they never hear the whistle, you hear it in the next postcode as it is designed for use in large and noisy stadiums. Each to their own of course, but I am yet to observe a referee using that whistle where I haven't offered development advice. They can't use a longer blast to denote a more serious offence as every time they blow the whistle it sounds serious. It's akin to a DJ using a stadium level sound system in a room holding 400 people, it is too powerful for the environment being used in.

Back