A&H

El Ghazi Headbutt

The Referee Store
I'm surprised he wasn't sent off, he clearly moved his head in to Ming's face. Sets a dangerous precedent if that kind of behavior is not punished even though they were both on the same team.

I thought it was close but a red card din't quite seem necessary to me. I think it would have been a surprise if VAR had intervened on that considering everything else it's let go.

I thought Mike Dean was a bit below his normal standard overall - a few fairly soft yellow cards.

I think he was also wrong to restart with a drop ball after the ball hit him and went out for a West Ham throw-in. IFAB suggested at the start of the season that play should restart the throw-in in such an instance.

so would hyou have done the same as mike dean and martin atkinson then, nothing
I'd have cautioned for USB AA. Antler locking with minimal force has become a yellow card over the last 3 or 4 years. It used to be an early bath.
VAR couldn't yellow however, so I think MD was wrong to do nothing
I've been saying for some time that MD is past his best. Formerly the best ref in the EPL, but the PGMOL seem to hold on to experience at the expense of giving someone else a shot

I'd have cautioned for USB AA. Antler locking with minimal force has become a yellow card over the last 3 or 4 years. It used to be an early bath.
VAR couldn't yellow however, so I think MD was wrong to do nothing
I've been saying for some time that MD is past his best. Formerly the best ref in the EPL, but the PGMOL seem to hold on to experience at the expense of giving someone else a shot

I thought that Mike Dean had a shaky season a few years ago but last year I thought that he and Michael Oliver were the best two referees. I still think that the likes of him and Martin Atkinson are amongst the most reliable performers.

I do agree that the PGMO are sometimes too slow to bring through up and coming referees (I think Rob Jones should have been promoted by now and Andy Madley should have been promoted a good few years before he was) but you still need some experience and it's not easy for the PGMO to stop using officials even if they wanted to due to employment law and so on. In some ways, the most surprising thing for me is that often they have chosen to appoint experienced referees who haven't seemed likely to develop beyond being 'solid' such as Simon Hooper and previously Roger East.

Back