A&H

England v world xi

TheFoodieReferee

Level 5 Referee
Anyone else think it was a poor show with players wearing chains, earrings and more?🤦🏻‍♂️ if any of us done that on a Saturday afternoon we would be getting some words of advice and a good drop down in marking for it.

The Referee Store
Not really. Charity match. Nobody is fussed about those details.
Been that way since the first soccer aid in 2006

I didn’t like it that players were in jewellery etc, but equally see the charity game argument.

Personally, I think the jewellery laws should be upheld even if they're going to be flexible with tolerances on handball/tackles and every other foul/decision.

I didn’t like it that players were in jewellery etc, but equally see the charity game argument.

Personally, I think the jewellery laws should be upheld even if they're going to be flexible with tolerances on handball/tackles and every other foul/decision.
Remember that it can't possibly be a sanctioned game, as mixed gender football isn't allowed at above U16 in England. It is a TV entertainment show, not a traditional football game. If it isn't sanctioned what is Abi supposed to do if she tells, for example, Mo Farah to remove his chain and he refuses?

I get that but nothing stopping the organisers laying down certain expectations/rules especially when it comes back to safety.

Just my opinion, I also enjoy the fact it is an entertainment event/charity game and therefore comically poor challenges go unpunished etc.

I can't have it both ways I guess!

And, while the jewelry may strike us as unseemly, the reality is that injuries are far more likely to come from those comically poor challenges than from the jewelery.

It's sanctioned by the FA according to the website https://www.socceraid.org.uk/2023-match-report/
It can't be officially sanctioned as it doesn't meet the sanctioning regulations. What they mean is they will unofficially sanction it, let their referees officiate it, but won't put anything to writing and can run away if it all turns to chaos.

In previous years it hasn't been actual FA registered referees in charge, and recently they have used Mark Clattenburg. He was indisposed this year as still filming Gladiators, so I'd guess they have gone to the FA for help. Technically they can't help, but no organisation is going to be responsible for stopping a game that will rake in millions of pounds for charity going ahead. Rules will be bent in such situations as the adverse PA reaction of not doing so would be career destroytng.

Back