A&H

World Cup England vs Nigeria

Suspensions are nothing to do with referees etc..... ;)

No, I think it's a fair question. You could argue that the stamp isn't actually likely to cause any lasting injury, wheras the Nigeria tackle was a potential leg-breaker. But the other side of that coin is exactly as @Murri O says - one of those is a sporting action and the other isn't. On balance, the same punishment for both would have felt fair.

I'm not convinced it's favouritism though, I just think it's FIFA continuing their trend of trying to avoid being blamed for players missing (potential) finals. They've constantly introduced measures to try and avoid yellow card accumulations resulting in a player missing the final and I think this is just another example of that cowardice.

The Referee Store
Putting 2 and 2 together, or in this case posts 21 and 22 together and you have your answer.

Money (ratings) over what's right. Nothing has changed with FIFA.

FIFA confirmed that Lauren James was sent off for SFP, not VC. Can't say that I agree with that as it certainly wasn't a challenge for the ball, but that is why it was 2 games.

FIFA confirmed that Lauren James was sent off for SFP, not VC. Can't say that I agree with that as it certainly wasn't a challenge for the ball, but that is why it was 2 games.
I've just watched the highlights again to make sure I'm not going mad; after the VAR review, the referee announced to the stadium "red card for violent conduct".

Well I for one am shocked at the complete lack of integrity shown ib this decision
Really? I’m not surprise. Disappointed, but not surprised. Keep in mind that the whole yellow card accumulation was changed to make it impossible for anyone to miss the final for accumulation. But I am surprised they called it SFP (which it clearly isn’t). They could say it was gentle VC so they downgraded to 2 without having to lie.

Really? I’m not surprise. Disappointed, but not surprised. Keep in mind that the whole yellow card accumulation was changed to make it impossible for anyone to miss the final for accumulation. But I am surprised they called it SFP (which it clearly isn’t). They could say it was gentle VC so they downgraded to 2 without having to lie.
They couldn't though, because FIFA Disciplinary Code Article 14, which they cite in their decision, makes 3 games the absolute minimum for VC.

Very very very large dose of sarcasm in there

Back