A&H

ESP vs CRC Matchday 4 - Hassan Mohamed (UAE)

george.g

Level 5 Referee
Match #11
Spain v Costa Rica
Wednesday, 23 November 2022
19:00 local time (16:00 GMT)
Doha

Referee: Mohammed Abdullah Hassan Mohamed (UAE)

Assistant Referee 1: Mohamed Al-Hammadi (UAE)
Assistant Referee 2: Hasan Al-Mahri (UAE)
Fourth Official: Ma Ning (CHN)
Reserve Assistant Referee: Shi Xiang (CHN)
Video Assistant Referee: Abdulla Al-Marri (QAT)
Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Muhammad Taqi (SIN)
Offside Video Assistant Referee: Bruno Pires (BRA)
Support Video Assistant Referee: Tomasz Kwiatkowski (POL)
Standby Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Taleb Al Marri (QAT)

The Referee Store
Right they’re just making up stoppages now. 5 minutes at the end of this half? It’s madness, the ball’s been in play practically the entire time

Right they’re just making up stoppages now. 5 minutes at the end of this half? It’s madness, the ball’s been in play practically the entire time
They have been told to add time for goals, that would have been around three minutes. The penalty probably took around a minute between giving and taking, so they would add that as well.

The media crack me up. They make a fuss about timewasting etc week in week out, FIFA instructs a clamp down on lost time/timewasting etc in games, which then results in media going into meltdown and keeping a running total of all the added on time so far in the World Cup so far.

78 minutes in and apart from one slightly over-zealous challenge, it's the first bit of fight Costa Rica have shown all night, Spain playing some great footy though!

They have been told to add time for goals, that would have been around three minutes. The penalty probably took around a minute between giving and taking, so they would add that as well.
It just seems ridiculous - I have no problem adding on time for time lost for actual instances of time wasting - goal kicks, throw ins etc. Adding on all this time for natural stoppages in the game just feels overkill. Wouldn’t be surprised if this drive leads to some sort of experiment in the future with stopclocks!

It just seems ridiculous - I have no problem adding on time for time lost for actual instances of time wasting - goal kicks, throw ins etc. Adding on all this time for natural stoppages in the game just feels overkill. Wouldn’t be surprised if this drive leads to some sort of experiment in the future with stopclocks!
Goal kicks and throw ins are more natural stoppages than goals though, as they occur vastly more often. As long as they don't add on times for normal throw-ins, goal kicks, etc, it will get the message across to players that trying to waste time won't work as it will just get added on.

It probably is a move towards a rugby style stadium clock at the top level, not sure whether I think that is a good thing or not, but if FIFA want to improve the amount of time the ball is in play that will be the direction of travel.

I'd REALLY like to see the log of how this crew came up with 5 minutes of stoppage time in the first half and 8 in the 2nd half. That 2nd half stoppage amount was cruel to the Costa Ricans.

I'd REALLY like to see the log of how this crew came up with 5 minutes of stoppage time in the first half and 8 in the 2nd half. That 2nd half stoppage amount was cruel to the Costa Ricans.
It can't have helped that he held up every corner to pointlessly warn players who weren't doing anything wrong. For one in the 1st half he stopped it being taken three times.

It can't have helped that he held up every corner to pointlessly warn players who weren't doing anything wrong. For one in the 1st half he stopped it being taken three times.
They did the same thing at the World Cup in Russia four years ago. It got really tedious, really quickly then, and it's doing the same now.

Of course it’s a set up for futsal style clocks.

Fifa sees $$$$$$$$$

The other thing they are doing, which they also did at the last World Cup, is speaking to attackers at set pieces and telling them not to stand offside. I just don't get it, if they are offside that is their own problem and they will get flagged.

The other thing they are doing, which they also did at the last World Cup, is speaking to attackers at set pieces and telling them not to stand offside. I just don't get it, if they are offside that is their own problem and they will get flagged.
Totally agree. Same with GKs On PKs. The R isnt tEllington an WC keeper anything they don’t already know.

Back