A&H

Europa League Young Boys vs Cluj

RefIADad

RefChat Addict
Plenty to dissect and discuss in the linked clip. I'm hoping those of you outside of the US can watch the video. If you can't, I'm sure there are other places to watch this unfold.

To summarize, there's a penalty followed by an OFFINABUS red card, followed by a SFP red card to make it 10 v 10, finalized by an after-the-whistle send-off for another OFFINABUS (I'm guessing the gestures at the end of the match were not to tell Benoit Bastien that he was "OK" in the match.)

The Referee Store
I don't know about you, but I'm pretty happy categorising that late challenge as SFP.
Late, knee into just above the knee, high force. Borderline VC

Apart from that, who'd be a referee? Imagine wearing RESPECT armbands when your true colours are so close to the surface.

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty happy categorising that late challenge as SFP.
Late, knee into just above the knee, high force. Borderline VC

Apart from that, who'd be a referee? Imagine wearing RESPECT armbands when your true colours are so close to the surface.
When I watched the SFP send off, my instinct was caution. It's stopping an attack when the Cluj player has a lot of space in front of him. Then I watched it again after getting an opinion of red on a different forum, and I agree it should be red. That knee to knee contact is pretty nasty.

Pen I am ok with. Keeper got the ball (just) at the same time as the attacker but then made careless contact with the attacker's face.

First send off was brave and also ok with me. Other referees could have cautioned. I don't know what was said but the body language shows aggression. Not sure if there was some chest bumping there as well.

Second send off nailed on red. The kind of kneeing you see in UFC but it was disguised well. Good job identifying it.

Last send off, I'd be disappointed if it was not a Red. There should be absolutely no tolerance for players who behave like that towards the referees.

Pen I am ok with. Keeper got the ball (just) at the same time as the attacker but then made careless contact with the attacker's face.

First send off was brave and also ok with me. Other referees could have cautioned. I don't know what was said but the body language shows aggression. Not sure if there was some chest bumping there as well.

Second send off nailed on red. The kind of kneeing you see in UFC but it was disguised well. Good job identifying it.

Last send off, I'd be disappointed if it was not a Red. There should be absolutely no tolerance for players who behave like that towards the referees.
After I watched the Nsame foul a second time, I agreed with all of your points here 100% . These were all excellent calls by Benoit Bastien. The Nsame send off is why I am on these forums. Like I said, my first instinct was SPA caution, but that foul is a lot more than that. Bastien did very well to spot it and identify it for what it was - a very dangerous act. That type of contact often draws multi-game suspensions in the National Hockey League, which frowns a lot on knee to knee contact.

I also had caution on my first view, but as reckless. And red on a better look. But I don’t see how you got to SPAA just outside the defensive PA.

I also had caution on my first view, but as reckless. And red on a better look. But I don’t see how you got to SPAA just outside the defensive PA.
There wasn’t a defender within 30 yards of the Cluj player except Nsame. At that level and with that space, it’s a promising attack.

There wasn’t a defender within 30 yards of the Cluj player except Nsame. At that level and with that space, it’s a promising attack.
I disagree. 30 yards doesn’t even get him quite to midfield—and the the reason no one is near him is the defense is back and set. I think it takes significantly more than that for a promising attack caution.

Back