A&H

Eventful Charity Match

Edward

So I was refereeing my first ever charity match a few weeks ago (no assistants), and two things happened that have stuck in my mind since then; was whites v blues.

Firstly, I penalised a white player for offside. Immediately after I blow the whistle, he picks the ball up, boots it half way across the pitch and shouts at me from 20 yards away "You're a ****ing joke ref I was never offside for **** sake", amongst other expletives. Despite it being a charity game, I show him the caution for dissent. As he sees the yellow coming out my pocket he then shouts at me "I don't give a **** what you do you're an absolute ****ing joke". I then show him a second yellow for his additional comments and produce the red.

That's just when the fun begins however. A few minutes later, the whites score. Just as I'm about to restart the game, the blue team bring it to my attention that the player who has just scored was the one that I sent off. His team-mates had apparently told him that I had only sent him off for a couple of minutes and that he could come back on, although I've no way of knowing if they actually told him that, and that certainly wasn't what I did. I again asked him to leave the pitch and told him that he was not to return again, despite the protests of both sets of player who continually told me "It's just a charity match ref give him a few minutes then let him come back on". Play restarted with kick off following the goal.

So, should I have been more lenient in the first instance as it was only a charity match, and secondly should I have allowed the goal to stood despite the sent off player having come on and scored it? I have a feeling that as play had not restarted I shouldn't have.

The Referee Store
Your feeling about play having not restarted is correct. As a dismissed player, he is 'illegally' on FOP, therefore is an outside agent touching the ball (once he touches it).

In terms of leniency because it's a charity game, absolutely not. You are refereeing the game and have the right to not be treated like sh*t just because it's a charity game. I'd have possibly told captain/manager/someone senior on that team that you've sent him off because of his comments & attitude, even in this kind of game.

1. No way is the first outburst a caution for dissent. Straight red for OFFINABUS.

2. Second outburst from player is also straight red for OFFINABUS

3. Was the match properly sanctioned by your FA?

4. Have you submitted the required reports?

5. See points 1 & 2 again.

I'd have sent him off after the FIRST outburst.
Also, just because the event is a charity match, doesn't give anyone leniency to do whatever they want.

3. Was the match properly sanctioned by your FA?

This. I did a charity tournament a few years ago - probably the worst mistake in my refereeing life - let's just say that if players had been dismissed, they wouldn't have been legally allowed to drive home due to their blood alcohol levels - but we were trying to be lenient due to the nature of the tournament. What a mistake that was. Never offered help to that tournament again. Only found out about the sanctioning requirement afterwards - which that tournament wasn't - which means you're pretty much on your own, no county FA backup, no insurance, no follow up if you do dismiss a player. Avoid like the plague.

Thanks for your responses guys, much appreciated. I'll just clear a couple of points up.

Firstly, yes the match was properly sanctioned. Secondly, the reports were filed after the match.

I take on board the point about the original comments being enough to warrant OFFINABUS, but I'm fairly thick skinned so those sort of comments don't particularly bother me. Also, it was made clear to everyone why he had been sent off before play was restarted the first time.

Reactions: SM
Back