A&H

Eventful game back

MatthewC

I'd not had a game for six weeks or so (bloody weather!), and true to form got an email Friday night saying that my Saturday game had been cancelled. Get a phone call Saturday morning 'are you still up for a game this afternoon?' I'm absolutely buzzing for it. It's a premier division game (the highest division they give level 7's down here), I've got a bit of history with the away team, but nothing too serious. Anyway, I turn up, speak to both managers who both seem pretty switched on, and overhear them both saying the right things to their players before kick off - 'keep off the refs back', 'lets not go in for any silly tackles' etc. I know it could be a challenging game, and I know that I need to be on it because I've probably gotten a little bit rusty, so game kicks off and I'm all over everything. My positioning is good, I'm keeping up with play, playing some great advantages. Anyway, first half goes mostly without incident. I'm giving a lot of fouls both ways but nothing too silly from either team. I've spoken to a couple of players for comments they've made towards me (nothing that warranted any more than a talking to), brought both captains in (who were both brilliant) for players that have been making a bit of a nuisance of themselves. 30 minutes in, home player goes into the opposing penalty area with the ball, pushes it past the defender (who stands his ground) then half steps around, half runs into the defender and throws himself to the floor. My thought process is 'was that a penalty? No way!' so I cut the grass and give a nice loud shout and play goes on. It was only as the two players that were involved run past me, and I hear the defender say to the attacker 'that was terrible. You should be booked for diving' that the thought of simulation even comes into my head. Thinking back to it, it probably was a dive, and I probably should've cautioned, so this is something I'm going to try and add to my penalty decision process.
The game is fairly even but away team are 2-0 up. I have one caution just before half time for one of the home players. It was one of those 'typical' yellow card challenges where he's jumped in with his studs up, caught a bit of the ball but caught the player as well. Home team weren't too happy ('he got the ball ref!') but it's a definite yellow.

2nd half kicks off, and we're about 10 minutes in and away team have a chance to go 3 up. Shot from just inside the area heading towards goal, defender (5 yards away) turns to stop himself getting hit in the face. His arm comes up to protect himself and the ball inevitably strikes his arm, which isn't exactly in close to his body, but I can see that he's not done it to try and stop the ball. One of those 'you see them given', but I'm happy it's not a penalty. Would've been a red if I'd deemed it intentional, so the away team go mental, but the ball falls straight to another striker, who elects to lob the ball into the net. I'm positioned just inside the penalty area, maybe three yards to the right hand side of the penalty mark. I see the ball hit the floor on the goal line and a defender slide in and scoop the ball away. I look straight to the CAR who is nowhere to be seen (rolling a fag or texting his Nan or something), so make the judgement call myself. I know I wasn't in the best position but it didn't look in to me, and I can't be 100% sure so no goal. Again, away team protest.

15 minutes into the second half and home player shoots wide. He feels it got a deflection, I'm convinced otherwise so I give the goal kick. The decision is met with the aggrieved player turning away from me and screaming '**** off! **** off man!'. I immediately call him over, and he replies by walking away screaming '**** off! **** off! **** off you *****!'. Captain steps in, drags player in my direction and the player makes it about halfway to me and stops. I shout 'come here player', which is met with 'I'm already ****ing here for ****'s sake'. I ask his name, confident in my own head that he's earned himself an early shower. Once again, captain steps in and gives me the whole 'ref, calm down, he wasn't shouting at you. He's just frustrated cos he thinks there was a deflection. He's just frustrated, he's shouting at himself.' The player then steps in 'yeah sorry ref, I wasn't shouting at you, I've calmed down now'. I think about it, and reason that I'm not really sure who or what he was shouting at. He seems apologetic so tell him I don't want to hear another word from him and caution. The second I pulled the yellow out I knew I'd got it wrong. I don't know what I was thinking. He was obviously shouting at me, and I've allowed myself to be duped by a captain who obviously knows what he's doing and a very poor excuse for yelling obscenities at me.

14 minutes later and I've got another caution for a home player. It's gone down as dissent. Would've probably been a bit soft but for the fact that I'd spoken to him once already about the way he speaks to me, another time for handbags, and he's had 3 fouls in the last five minutes.

With 6 minutes plus added left to play, another tackle comes in from a home player. It's a bad tackle, a really bad one. Both feet in the air, studs up, knee height. In his defense, he didn't actually make contact with the player, but once again I'm thinking red. A decent advantage develops but I'm straight on the whistle and in there ready for a mass confrontation. Which never comes. Away team seem happy just to be awarded the free kick. So as I drag the player away, the captain comes in again, and I get another story about the player slipping. He's pointing at his boots and at the ground (which wasn't too bad, but it's feasible he could have slipped) and I elect to go with a caution again. In retrospect, I think it probably should've been red. The away team just made it far too easy for me to get away with a yellow. I'm kind of torn about this, not sure whether I've backed down and made the easy decision, or managed to retain match control by not pulling out a red card that no one was expecting. Either way, home team score 2 more, to draw level at 2-2 and away team score a blinder straight from the kick off to retain their lead.

2 minutes and 50 seconds into the 3 minutes of added time, and another terrible tackle comes in. Home player had dived in with both feet, studs up, straight into the ball and straight through the player behind it. Cue another yellow card, cue more protestations of 'but he got the ball ref!'. Game ends 3-2 to away team, 5 cautions in total all for home team. There was a few loud comments made in my direction whilst shaking hands with the players 'that ref was ****ing ****!', 'He's barely even out of puberty' etc. but I let it go because I can't identify individual culprits. Then I have to suffer a ten minute lecture by the home team manager about how I've given his team '5 soft yellows', how it was 'never a 5 booking game' and how I shouldn't report the cautions because they're already in trouble with the FA and he'll get hammered. I explain calmly to him that two of those yellows were extremely close to reds, and that the other three were all solid cautions.

Lots of positives to draw from. It was a tough game, but I was strong and confident in all my decisions. My positioning was mostly spot on, and I communicated well. Played two advantages that lead to clear goal scoring opportunities as well, but the strikers had to go and fluff them. Oh well! I felt I got 95% of my decisions correct, just a bit disappointed that:

A). I didn't caution for simulation in the first half.
B) I didn't dismiss for blatant OFFINABUS.
C) I didn't dismiss for the knee high tackle (although I'm not so sure on this one any more)

The Referee Store
hi, probably be looking to caution for simulation for the pen incident as striker initiated contact. you describe 1st caution as a typical caution offence. if i see a player jumping in showing studs he's taking an early shower. arm raised pen incident is touch and go but arm in unnatural position pen can easily be given but seems you had a very good advantage to play from it. player swearing should walk let the captain talk his talk say thanks and pull red out anyway try not over think situations generally 1st opinion is correct. last 2 yellows for tackles look like nailed on reds again by the way you describe them.

Matthew, It seems like it was quite a tough game.

What I will say is that when something happens, in your mind you already know exactly what it is you are going to do. Really bad tackle, you think red. You stated that there was a challenge, both feet in the air, studs up at knee height... That's a red all day long for me, regardless of whether he got the ball or not. With both feet in the air, the player is no longer in control of his body, his momentum and gravity is taking him where he aimed to go. With the manner in which you have decsribed, I can't see any other explanation other than excessive force being used (Full weight of his body behind two feet).

Make your mind up early. It seems like you had the calls correct but you were softened a bit by the sweet talking captain. If you think it's a red, it usually is. Players will never see it like that. One team will say red, one team will say fair challenge... You have to be authoritive and take the neccessary action.

It seems like you had a bit of a tough one this game (I love these sort of games, I had one on Boxing Day, 2 yellows and 2 reds).

Simulation - You must be 100% sure in your head that he has dived. Were you 100% sure?

OFFINABUS, You'd know if it was directed at you. When I get frustrated when I'm playing, I sometimes have a potty mouth moment and punch the floor.... There's a difference in that and what you've described above. Again, I think you know the answer to your own questions here mate.

Have faith in your ability and courage in your convictions. It all aids with learning and experience.

It does sound like a hard game. There was obviously a lot going on.
As already said, you've probably got an idea what you're going to do straight away, and your initial thought is often the right one. There's nothing wrong with changing what you decide but make that decision yourself. My process is to decide what I'm giving, then think about what means that's not the right decision. If it's only "the players won't like it" then it's right. Every decision has 50% who think it's wrong. (I have occasionally given decisions where everyone thinks they're wrong, but not that often!) If there's another factor then I may change my mind. I take thinking time to see if I can see why I should change my mind, but I'm deciding that rather than anyone else.

The Captain is there to help keep his team under control to help you, rather than to keep you under control to help his team (sorry, that sounds like it's a dig but it's not.) On this occasion it worked for him because his team finished the game with 11 players when from what you say they really shouldn't have.
The good thing is, you're questioning yourself. If you just thought "I did everything well" then it would be a poor performance. If you question yourself then you're looking to develop. Next time you come across this you'll be more prepared. For instance, the next time you have the home team you'll be ready for the Captain's "calm down, ref!" speech.
Writing stuff down is cathartic, because it makes you think about what you did, so you justify it to yourself - or not. That's the same process as the after match post mortem we go through, where we look at the KMIs and replay them. However, this can go too far. Try not to dwell on things you feel you got wrong. Think about the bad bits but only so you know what you're going to do next time.
Focus on the good bits. Keep them in your game and work on the other bits. If you're happy with 95% of the game then that's a really good start. Most games I'd be chuffed with that!

The good thing is that the players didn't react, although reaction can help make a decision for you. If players don't react then you resort to trying to justify Red cards to yourself, even though the decision is obvious if you think about it.
Have faith in your ability and courage in your convictions. It all aids with learning and experience.
I added this quote because it summed it up better than I could

Reactions: DB
Great match report Matthew!! :D
Analysing your match afterwards (especially if it's been an eventful one) is something we all do. It's a good thing.
Like somebody above already said, try not to beat yourself up over mistakes you believe you've made. Giving somebody a caution which should have been a red card, is certainly no worse than say, dishing out a harsh impulsive red which you later realise should only have been a yellow. ;) Take the positives from it all.
Identifying where you went wrong in this match and resolving not to make similar "mistakes" in the future has already made you a better referee. :)

Tough match, but you find out much more about yourself in the tough matches. Okay, so you're young and maybe slightly inexperienced, and you've let a captain talk you out of a red card you knew was right. In my second open age match, I did the exact same thing; I heard a clear example of OFFINABUS and let myself get talked out of it by other players. Don't worry, park it, move on, and next time have the courage of your own convictions to go with what you think.

If you're not certain it was simulation, don't caution for it. Just signal 'no foul' and play on.

Just one thing that bothered me a little...

Then I have to suffer a ten minute lecture by the home team manager

No, you don't have to suffer it at all.

hi Matt, great break down of the game, really clear and easy for us all to understand, picture the situation and try and evaluate it as much as we can with you ...

there isn't much more I can say that hasn't been said - it sounds to me as you know what you have done wrong and know what to do next - this means you don't need any coaching on it! so well done! we are all humans and if anyone on here said they haven't changed a red to a yellow because of the attitude of the game, or a captain sweet talking them, or an apologetic player then they'd be lying! unless you're @Padfoot ;)

lastly, I agree with @forest96 - you don't have to suffer that 10 minute lecture, a simply - pick the bag up and walk off is fine lol

I hope a misconduct was put in for all bookings, the fact they tried talking you out of it and the managers 'lecture' ??

If you let a captain talk you out of a red, or fall for the oldest excuse in the book 'I wasn't talking to you'.....then you really need to consider if refereeing is for you.

Once you've decided on a course of action, to be talked into something else is just weak refereeing.

You simply cannot allow yourself to be swayed by anyone.....you are there to make a decision...not to feel sorry for someone or take the easy way out.

Quotes like 'temperature of the game ' are just excuses trotted out by referees who either can't be bothered or are too weak to do the job properly.

Having said all that....you've nailed where you let yourself down, so you know how to change it. Just chalk it up to experience and move on to the next game. Don't brood on it, you can't change it, so just move on.

i agree with the other lads you know you made a few bad decisions, good, you might not make the same mistakes again, 10 minute lecture from the manager, no, ask him to move, tell him to move, get the book out, no card remember, and i hope you put that in your report

Sounds like you already figured out what went wrong with your decisions so no need to go over that. Really good self analysis - this is important to do, especially when you've had a shocker. If you can take a lesson out of it, then it hasn't been a complete loss. That's important.
How did it come to be that you let the captain influence you? Does that happen to you a bit? Or just an off game?
Why did you let yourself be berated by the manager for 10 minutes?
As for the possible simulation - this can also be a charging offence against the striker. Usually in these scenarios it's hard to say he simulated - he may have just had nowhere to go - but good on you for not calling a foul. Most referees would have called a foul there, even at the top level. But it depends when the defender made his last move - if it was before the striker made his last touch and the defender was standing there, it can't possible be a foul against him.
As for the handling, I'm a little confused by your process here - as you say, the arm came up, and it came up in a manner that wasn't close to his body so wasn't actually protecting his body/face, is that right? If so, why no foul?

If you let a captain talk you out of a red, or fall for the oldest excuse in the book 'I wasn't talking to you'.....then you really need to consider if refereeing is for you.

Totally disagree. This is part of the learning process in many walks of life. No matter what it is, when learning something you may be vulnerable to being talked into or out of something that you are not fully experienced in. Now if this was a level 5 it would maybe be time to reconsider!

Having said all that....you've nailed where you let yourself down, so you know how to change it. Just chalk it up to experience and move on to the next game. Don't brood on it, you can't change it, so just move on.

Totally Agree! You've had the experience now. Like Padfoot said, learn from it and use it to change the way you handle it next time.

Bit harsh guys. He knows he made a few errors in this game. Probably just a mindset on the day thing. We don't want to discourage people sharing their experiences and reflections by belittling them. There isn't a single person on here who hasn't made decisions or had days that would make him 'last week's referee' at some point.

Great report.
The way you describe the handball is a nailed on pen for me. It is deliberate. There is nothing in the laws that say a player can deliberately handle to defend themselves.
The bad language is an interesting one too. As mentioned in that great thread about the variety of language we experience, we all have our own limits. A few indirect Eff Offs probably only gets a YC from me with an extremely stern warning very rapidly but its all about context. But, as you hinted, if you thought it was a RC, you probably should have stuck with it.

Thanks for explaining the captain. I will look out for this. I am used to telling the bench/players that I don't need their advice. But a captain taking advantage of this "privileged" position is a tricky one.

Just to put something out there... It's just twigged who this guy is. I've had him ref me a few times this season whilst I've been playing.... Hands down, he's been the best ref we've had and is a credit to the CCFA.

Refereeing is certainly for him. At only 23 years old, I genuinely think he'll go far. That's not me with my tongue up his rear, this is from a players point of view.

I've also just seen who the teams were aswell Matt.... I knew it would be one of those games for whoever ref's it... The home team aren't exactly the friendliest of people.

Last edited:
Always a concern when players start saying things like 'best ref we've ever had....'

Normally that means that they got away with more than they should have etc.....sort of the polar opposite to players blaming the ref for their defeat!

I get what you're saying but it's not one of those situations :)

Good movement, good communication skills, knows and reads the game well amongst many other good attributes. :) that's coming from a player and a fellow referee.

Ha - the stock situation is that, when you've been a good ref and applied the laws consistently, at least one team hates you for missing all those chances - both hate you if it's a draw!

Great report.
The way you describe the handball is a nailed on pen for me. It is deliberate. There is nothing in the laws that say a player can deliberately handle to defend themselves.
The bad language is an interesting one too. As mentioned in that great thread about the variety of language we experience, we all have our own limits. A few indirect Eff Offs probably only gets a YC from me with an extremely stern warning very rapidly but its all about context. But, as you hinted, if you thought it was a RC, you probably should have stuck with it.

The fact that handling must be deliberate for a foul rules out self-protective reflexes though. That's why a player can put his arms up to block a ball coming at his face. But if the arms come up and block a ball that, say, was going past him anyway? I'm going to ping that.

Back